Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Aug 97 12:13:37 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: The proper gas line

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 Eric Miskow said: >On start ups I noticed drops of liquid as I backed out of the drive way. A >little exploring led to a drip in the gas line as it enters the plastic male >part right in back of the firewall leading to the fuel injection ect, ect. >Anyway, I went to my VW parts store and they said the gas line was 7mm, I >said that mine was a plastic 3mm line shoved into two 7mm rubber lines that >exit the fuel filter and the other part described above with hose clamps to >keep the plastic lines tight against the the rubber ones. The rubber 7mm >lines are only a few inches long exiting the fuel filter and the male section >at the firewall. I was thinking of replacing the entire length with 7mm >nylon/cloth (what ever that material is) coated line such as on my old duel >port engines have for thier gas lines. Then I woulden't have to have those

i don't think that's a good idea at all!!! the old carb hose is NOT able to withstand the 45 psi of the fuel pump on the 86 injection!! you MUST replace it with INJECTION-RATED fuel hose (which has a reinforcement inside the hose) ... trust me: if you use carb hose, the hose will balloon up and explode!!!

the rubber hose is what's leaking (at least it was on my 88). i'd suggest just replacing the rubber parts with injection-rated hose and new clamps. it's a bitch to get to that particular hose (and it's mate on the opposite side of the transmission), but if you jack up the bus and remove the rear wheel, you can get in there a little easier.

>plastic line does fit nicely around the rear wheel well in the plastic guides >so maybe it is original. Any thoughts? Is this the right way? Are plastic >lines a stock item?

the plastic line is indeed original. and shouldn't be the part leaking. i'd bet the rubber hose is the leaker.

also: the rubber hose between the fuel tank and the fuel pump (or in your case, the fuel strainer/filter) was a bit larger ... 10mm ... on my 88. but that was the only stretch of hose that was NOT 7mm.

if ONE hose is leaking, the others will be leaking soon. so better to replace them all now. a word of caution when replacing the hoses on the engine: even after several hours, the fuel in those engine hoses is still under pressure, so be prepared (with rags and NO SMOKING and such) for fuel spraying all over the place when you start removing the clamps and hoses!!

and make sure you get ALL the rags out of the engine compartment before you start the bus!! one of them rags will get sucked into a v-belt if you don't ... did you know a rag can make a v-belt jump off the pulley?? :)

joel