Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:43:08 -0400
From:         Karen Winter <cen13504@CENTURYINTER.NET>
Subject:      Westfalia  Award Winner

Fellow List Members, I volunteered to serve as the support vehicle for my friend who enjoys showing his 1979 triple white beetle convertible. We traveled to Gatlinburg TN for Annual Gatlinburg VW Expo. Cool Show. As we arrived the area was pulsing with people. There was a very good turn out. Since parking was nonexsistant, we decided to enter my 1984 Westy in the show. I was three cars down from my friend,with the Refrigerator full of refreshments, top poped under a large shade tree. I was surprised by how many people stopped by to looked the Westy. Many of them had Vanagons in the parking lot. After a make shift cleaning of the Westy, we spent the day meeting new friends and admiring the other VW. Some people spend more on a pre 1960 beetle than we would on a 1990 syncro westy. After a good dinner, we returned to the show area to turn in. Not until the next morning did we find out the area was closed to camping. Oh well. A Hotel cost $89 a night. I am glad we were asleep before the security staff cleared the area. My second surprise came at the awards ceramony the next afternoon. My friend was up against some nice Vws.. He did not win an award. BUT my beloved Brown and Tan 1984 Westfalia TOOK second place the the Water Cooled Stock Class! I was elated and shocked. We laughed about it all the way home. My friend was happy for me, but I know he was a little upset because he had spent the week before the show cleaning his car with a tooth brush. I Just washed mine the night before show, in hopes of getting better fuel economy. I just wanted to share a story about a little vehicle that has had a BIG affect on my life. I hope we never get to the point that some of the beetle owners have. Many of their car are never driven, other than on and off of the trailers for the shows. As unique as the "beetle people" are, I still enjoy Vanagon owners who drive and use their Vans on a daily basis. Please wave and honk when you see the brown and Tan award winner on the highway.

Kenneth Winter