Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:16:35 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Re: '87 Syncro Westie Starting problems

Well Tony,

I have experience a similar experience with other starters. The starter may have a "flat spot". This is described by a "pair" of stators on the commmutator end of end of the armature being shorted. Yeah it made a lot of sense to me, my first time. Anyway the result is that much like a roulette wheel your starter spins to crank the engine, and the the starter slows to a stop. If the shorted stators "happen" to be underneath the brushes, nothing happens when your turn the key. This short is often repairable by a starter rebuild shop. These guys say that what occurs is the the Owner will crank the engine for an extended period, ie hard starting, the armature gets so hot it "melts" the solder joints, then the centrifugal force slings the solder off, and viola, you now have a short.

BTW starter crank times are about 30 seconds with a 30 minute cool down between attempts. I realize that nooobody does this, but from my aviation days thats the recommended procedure, or was it my marine engines, well I heard it somewhere.

The point is that starters have rapid heat build up, 300-400 amps can do that. So if your engine is hard to start for whatever reason, fix that willl save your starter.

Mark Keller 91 Carat WLE Lazarus