Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:49:30 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Gas spill

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:46:29 -0400 Michael T. DeLessio said: >Every time I fill the gas tank on my '84 Westy, gas shoots out before the >auto shut-off on the pump kicks in. The main problem with this (beside gas >on the ground and on the side of my van) is that my tank never fills all the >way. I only get about 3/4 of a tank before the gas spills out. >Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this??

well, you might want to check and see if any of the vent hoses are blocked, or even go so far as to replace your filler neck with one from a later bus ... my 87 camper does the same thing: EVERY time, it spills fuel. but my 88 bus NEVER does it (oh, well, ok ... maybe four times in 130,000 miles :) so when i get some extra money (to do some things), i'm gonna look REAL hard at what the differences are!!

>Also, I'm about to attempt to take out the sliding door window to fix a rust >spot, any suggestions on the best way of taking the window out? I really >don't want to break it!

it's really pretty easy to get it out. putting it back in ain't so much fun. :) first thing you need is another pair of hands. strong hands. :) outside the bus. to catch the window.

you get on the inside, and start at one of the corners. pull the rubber seal back away from the headliner, and push on the seal. thump it with the heel of your palm, and work your way up/down the short vertical side of the window. what you are trying to do is to push the seal through/out of the window hole. just work your way up and down the vertical seal ... it may take some time, and a very side short-blade screwdriver can help. BUT!! beware of putting much pressure on the window frame ... it's very soft aluminum and will dent/bend easily. :(

once you get one vertical end of the window pushed through, it's easy to push the horizontal sides through (keep pushing on the vertical end until you get about 1/2 of the horizontal seal pushed through). the person on the outside has to be careful and ready: that window is heavier than it looks!

good luck! joel