Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 1997 07:46:06 -0400
From:         Matthew Bulley <GMBulley@AOL.COM>
Subject:      crash damage, Van front end

In a message dated 97-08-26 06:08:20 EDT, oshaug@INFINET.COM writes:

<< spent about an hour on a 84 in a yard yesterday with a scary front impact (steering collumn vertical, drivers floor crumpled) >>

Although I love our 1976, and adore the 1986 Westy, I have to admit, I do worry about the front end "crumple-ability" of our vehicles. Neither Suzy nor I tailgate, and we are defensive drivers, but I have always figured that a hard front end hit would cost us at least our feet, at most....

Does anyone have experience to ease my mind? What happened/how'd you fair? I would also be interested in VW crash safety test results, but don't know where to look. Also, has anyone crashed a bus with the optional spare tire mounted up front? I'd be interested in your findings.

I know this is an ugly subject that we'd rather not think about, but if it is an inherant liability of this design, so be it, I can deal with it. If there are bunches of you who have slammed into the back of a semi- at 60 mph and lived to giggle, lemme know.

curious george drives a bus, carefully,

gmbulley fairfax, va