Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 1997 08:25:31 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: crash damage, Van front end

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997 Matt said: >Does anyone have experience to ease my mind? What happened/how'd you fair? I >would also be interested in VW crash safety test results, but don't know

well, my insurance company, USAA (active duty and retired military officers) rates the Vanagon as "much better than average" in crash risk (injuries). it seems that sitting UP above the other car's bumper makes a lot of difference. they also agree with Mercedes' testing that MOST accidents are side-angle hits, NOT front-end crashes.

of course, the trick is to hit or be hit by someone in a car SMALLER than your own. this has always been true. way back when Ralph Nader was trying to crucify the Beetle (by claiming that it was dangerous when hit by a Cadillac!), one of the VW dealers in New Jersey (who just happened to also be a Mac Truck dealer) showed what happens when the Cadillac gets hit by a five-ton truck: guess what? the Cadillac is "dangerous"!!

now, since MOST of the cars out there ARE smaller and lighter than a Vanagon, statistically, you are safer in the Vanagon than in a Honda Accord. in my opinion. :)

but there's no guarantee ... the best thing to set your mind at ease is to visit a junkyard, and look at the number and severity of the wrecks. see which brands have the worst damage, and which have the least. i've noticed that the American cars don't seem to hold up very well ... sort of "disposable" vehicles. whereas the Volvos and Mercedes have almost NO interior damage at all. likewise, MOST of the Vanagons (and Buses) that i've seen in junkyards were rollovers, or side-impact crashes. and there were very very few of them in the junkyard at all ... so either there weren't very many sold, or people don't wreck them very much (which is what my insurance company also indicated: low numbers of wrecks; i get a refund every six months for driving a "safer" car. eh? it ain't much: $16).

>I know this is an ugly subject that we'd rather not think about, but if it is >an inherant liability of this design, so be it, I can deal with it. If there >are bunches of you who have slammed into the back of a semi- at 60 mph and >lived to giggle, lemme know.

well, ANY cab-over design that puts any part of the driver in front of the front wheels is a "liability" design, no matter who makes it. the thing is, i've seen wrecks with front-engined cars in which the engine actually came back into the front seats!!!! so i don't know if some of these "safe" designs are very good.

but if you'll get under the front of your bus, you'll see some rather LARGE frame members, making a Y-shape on each side of the middle ... for something to get back past that, it's gonna have to be pretty severe.

i figure it this way: i'm responsible for the front end of my car. cause that's really the only thing i have control over. i have to watch all the other idiots around me, but i can only control the forward progress of my car. if someone slams me in the rear, i can't control that (unless i can get out of his way). same thing with the sides. but i CAN keep from hitting the idiot in front of me. :) unless it's a head-on from the other direction ... :( and those are rather rare (i hope! i hope!). of course, i COULD always run off the road and smash into a bridge abuttment or telephone pole or something like that, but then again, that should have been my control. :)

it's something to be "concerned" about, but i don't "worry" about it myself. i DO, however, try to limit my "exposure" to certain risks ... like planning trips so i go through large cities and towns at times OTHER than rush hour. stuff like that. :)

joel