Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:15:56 -0400
From:         mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stereo / CD Issues, improvement suggestions

Well Ellis

I managed to get a set of 6 1/2" Boss 2 way speakers in the stock postition, sort of, of my 91 Carat. I say sort of because aside from the clearance issue, the stock 4" units are not centered in the sheet metal cut out the factory provides. So if a larger diameter speaker is desired you have to sort of enlarge the opening so that the new speaker's center is now closer to the front of the van.

Said differently the Part of the speaker's grill that is the closet to the rear of the vehicle is pretty much the same for the stock 4" and the new larger speaker.

Of course I wanted larger speaker's, the install guy says no way, there just isn't space. Fine, I said, I'll figure out way to do it.

What I did was to fabricate from a flat sheet of galvanized metal a speaker mount that permited me to attach the complete speaker and grill to the mount, and then attach the mount to the door's inner sheet metal. I then opened up the the trim panel for the speaker's grill to protrude though the 1/4 " inch or so that was available. Looks good, factory, and sound great!.

We also did 4" in the back overhead location, I wanted 5" but it was a no go, without major messing around. Two 8" subs. One where yours was beneath the rear seat, and one beneath the driver's seat, in the cavity that the second battery goes for campers. The installerremoved the metal hinged cover, contructd a 3/4" speaker mount that performs two functions. The mount extends to the front of the seat compartment, with a perpendicular baffle that "isolates" the front part of the compartment from the battery cavity. This "new" isolated space is where my 6 CD changer is. He cut a very nice opening in the non-structrual sheet metal front so I just reach beneath my seat and remove the CD's magzine--very slick.

The battery compartment has the sub firing up, the rear seat sub fires horizontally, some techno reason he blabbed about, it works though. We entered the system in a International Auto Sound Challenge Assciation competition. The installer wanted to win, but inadvertly turned the subs off, His mistake. However, we still go outstanding scores for Imaging, and sound stage amd ambience category's. Still some tweeking to do. Next time we'll get em.

Anyway, bottom line, it's possible to put larger 6 1/2" round speaker's in the front doors, high up so they sound great. Personally I believe 2 way 4"'s in the back are completely adequate if a sub woofer is used beneath the seat either front or rear prferably both. My choice for the driver's seat was to "feel" the bass. But remember that low sound is unidirectional, and as long as the subs have some distance between them they will provide a good floor to your system.

The mids and High are much more dependent on good alignment with your listening postions. I am very impressed with the stock alignment of my Carat. The real compromise in my opinion is trying to fill the vangaon with quality lows from four all purpose speakers. Can't be done. Upgrade the four stock holes with speakers whos tones please your ears, 2 ways, ie a separate tweeter with a mid range speaker. And then for stage two, fill the vangons cavernous interior with one or two subs.

BTW, all I have said assumes a compentent sound guru to help you select componets. Don't shop walmart, bring home "Spark o Matic" type components and then gripe the advice was bad. That goes for compentent installation and tuning of you gear. My guy set up an active cross over, and one 50 watt 2 way amp to drive the subs. My compents are: Clarion Pro Audio ARX 6370 Head Unit 4 x 14 Watts RMS, 35 Watts peak, Clarion CD 635 6 Disc Changer, 2 Boss 6 1/2" two way front speakers, 2 Boss 4" two Way rear speakers. Two 8" Planet Audio subwoofers, one Planet Audio P502 50 watt x 2 chanel amp, and a Boss AVA-CR200 Active Crossover.

Plus all the right power wire, speaker wire and etc.

The sound deading, wind noise, and other stuff will degrade any system. A fix is to use a long rubber hose, just about any diameter you have will work, Use this as a "stethoscope" to probe where noise enter's your Van. Once you locate the "source" plug up the hole. On an 83' I'll bet you've got a few holes in the structure that are allowing noise to enter. Air is a very good tranmitter of sound. A small hole will I repeat will allow a lot of noise in. Better to have a partner drive the bus while you go around listening for noise leaks.

Another way is have a partner hold a light on either the inside or outside of the van at night, while you look for the light leaks. Caulk these up too.

The final step would be to go back and listen for sound that is resonating through panels. Ie the engine bulkhead beneath the seat. That KOOL PATCH stuff would work or you can buy sound deading insulation to apply. Under the front seats, are the front wheel wells. They are a must. I applied a sound deading insulation on both, first step. A tremdous amount of resonation is generated from the wheel wells.

Don't forget to remove covers, Ie the transmission selector on an automatic, glove box, fuse box, whatever, so you can SEE if light is getting through. Do this and you'll be well on your way to an excellant sound evironment.

Mark Keller 91 Carat WLE Lazarus