Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 1997 20:38:25 +0000
From:         Barb Houg <fairwind@SERVER.NORTHERNNET.COM>
Subject:      BN-4 heater FS

i am selling my BN-4 heater. i was going to put it in my vanagon but realistically won't get around to installing it. it is a very nice unit.

Price: $330 firm. i pay shipping and COD charges to anywhere in the 48 US states.

Sales Pitch/Hype: the late model BN-4 is a marvel of electromechanical engineering. it has multiple redundant safety controls, temp control, and is very serviceable by the user. these heaters put out an estimated 4,000-16,000 BTU. they are designed to be used while driving or stationary. i have completely disassemble the unit, cleaned it, adjusted the switches, and set the fuel pump. it works wonderfully and puts out of gobs of heat on very little gasoline-- it will run between 6-16.5 hours per US gallon of gasoline.

Description: this is a BN-4 from a Type 181 Thing. it is the late generation with the metering style fuel pump (vs float type) for best economy and combustion. it is about the size of a 1.5 lb loaf of split top wheat bread :-)

Included: - copied portions of heater service manuals including detailed installation instructions from Espar. - exhaust pipe for 181. the key part here is the flange and clamp that attaches to the heater as it is very unique. an exhaust system can be fabricated from this flange. - intake hoses for fresh combustion air - plastic fresh air intake and heated air shrouds. the exhaust piece has been modified by me for attachment to ductwork. - heated air thermostat - a brand NEW VW timer switch (the Green Knob) that is wonderful. it can switch the heater on while the ignition is on or just run the heater for 10 minutes while the key is off. this is an incredibly expensive dealer item.. i was quoted $165 from the dealer. - a baggie of spare motor parts eg points, condensor, etc. if i can find it in my garage - 4 rubber mounting studs.

i will include a wiring diagram of how i intended to hook it up in my '87 Westy utilizing the timer switch.

if you are interested, please contact me directly as i am not subscribed to this list anymore.

-dan houg Bemidji, Minnesota fairwind@northernnet.com