Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Aug 1997 22:43:15 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <katsuki@BBN.COM>
Subject:      Re: starter repair problem (bushing)

A traditional trick to remove bushings in a blind hole is find or make a shaft (hardwood dowel works fine) that is a good sliding fit in the bushing, and then fill the hole with light grease or heavy oil. The rod is tapped into the bushing hole against the grease or oil (which is incompressible) , and the hydraulic pressure on the inner edge of the bushing forces the bushing out .

That said, I didn't do this when I replaced the starter in my van recently (the bushing wasn't worn much), so I don't know how well it will work for a van. The area of the edge of the bushing is sort of small relative to the rod end. But I've used this trick on other bushings, and it worked like a miracle.

Several caveats:

1. You need to get all the air out behind the rod or you won't get a solid shock on the bushing.

2. This setup makes a really good oil/grease gun pointed toward your face...

3. Banging really hard on the rod is just like banging on the back of the casting (and the sides), and if the casting isn't thick enough, may crack. Best thing is a small hammer, no air (see #1), and moderate taps. Let us know how it works if you try it.

Dave

(At 08:50 AM 8/25/97 -0700, Ivan Boyd wrote: >Hi All, > > >My current dilema has to do with the bushing that sits on the very tip of >the starter assembly and is the first part to enter into the engine. The >old bushing won't come out. It feels like it's been welded in there. Are >there any special tools or a great trick to remove a part like that. > >Thanks in advance! > >Ivan ('85 Westi) > >