Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:30:43 -0600
From:         Scott Durrant <sdurrant@MOSBYCH1.COM>
Subject:      Re: PNW Camping Trip

I'm considering the trip, I'm in SLC, UT. Anything that makes this more doable is fine by me.

---------- > From: Barbara Sutton <bsutton@GLADSTONE.UOREGON.EDU> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: Re: PNW Camping Trip > Date: Tuesday, August 26, 1997 10:31 PM > > Rick Gordon wrote: > it might be worth taking a > > straw poll on: > > what people are looking for in a site; > > where they might be coming from; > > how long they're willing to travel to get there. > > > > My guess is that most people are coming from the I-5 corridor, between > > Everett and Eugene (perhaps some B'ham folks), and would consider more than > > 1 day travel in each direction to be a bit too much, even for a 3-day > > weekend! > > > > Perhaps there is something in the Columbia Gorge area, maybe up near Mt Hood? > > That's probably 5+ hours from Seattle. Also, there are some funky spots on > > the Washington side of the Gorge I've driven by before - but the > > windsurfing crowd may have overrun them by now. > > Another area may be near Mt Adams - Gifford Pinchot National Forest - > > although that's still a long drive around from Seattle. You get about 3 > > miles from the Pacific Crest Trail there though. > > > > I still like the Mt St Helens area but if you go into the north section you > > have to pay $. On the south side, it s "free-for-all" camping. Just find a > > spot large and flat enough, and it's yours. > > > > The key may be if people are looking for some funky out-of-the-way place or > > are willing to take over a section of a more mainstream campground, say > > like Fort Canby. > > > > anyway, what do other folks think? I'm still likely to do it anyway but I > > wasn't aware of just how far east you were talking about until tonight! > > Rick's concern might be an issue, or not. Personally, I don't mind the > day long drive from Eugene (on the contrary, its a chance to enjoy my > Westie) but I see how this can affect others coming from BC, CA, or even > WA. THIS IS PRECISELY WHY WE NEED A LOT OF FEEDBACK ASAP! > Do we stick to the Cascades/I-5 corridor/coast (see some suggestions > above), or do we go for the more adventurous, unknown and sunny proposed > campsite in Eastern OR? > Cris.