Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Aug 1997 13:03:57 -0700
From:         TBill <tbill@STARTEXT.NET>
Subject:      2200 mi TRIP REPORT

TBill wrote: > > > > Hello Vanagon mail listees! Nice to have the system up again! > > > Came back to a crashed computer. Week later that is up, but the list is down! Then the list is up, but my mail server is down! Then I was dropped from the list! Begining to think someone doesn't want me to post this. The email is still hit and miss... > > > > > > Set off for CA from Ft.Worth on 11 July, but only made it as far as El > > > > Paso. Not the Westy's fault tho... > > > > > > > > As you may recall, the Beast ('83.5 water cooled Westy) was running rich and defying all my efforts to discover the cause. I knew the O2 sensor was bad, but the > > > > replacement didn't help. > > > > > > > > Anyway, it was running OK as I left Ft. Worth. Milage at lst fill up > > > > was 17.5 mpg, not too bad considering there was a lot of city driving > > > > on that tank, and I was bucking a stiff head wind. > > > > Next tank was 18.1, would have been worse, but I found a truck to > > > > follow. > > > > > > > > Next tank was only 17.7, but now I was in west Texas, and couldn't find > > > > a truck to follow. > > > > > All in all, it should have done better. Auto transmission, but still. > Consistent with it running rich. > > > > > The wind died down. But suddenly I noticed I was having trouble holding > > > > 60 mph going up a slight hill. Pulled over and found carbon in the tail > > > > pipe. Well, you know the drill by now: cut the O2 wire. Problem > > > > solved. Also, advanced the timing a bit. Felt it wasn't advancing all > > > > the way at high speed. Made me wish I had an old manuel advance on the > > > > column. > > > > > > > > That got me to El Paso where I stumbled into some consulting work. > > > > Seems everyone wants to partake fully of the bull market, but is nervous > > > > about the coming (eventually) decline. Wanted me to work out some > > > > strategies, hedging, and estimate the effectiveness and cost. Well, > > > > that keep me busy for a couple of weeks, but it paid well, and I could > > > > use the work. > > > > > > > > Drove the Beast about 40 mi per day, averaged 18 mpg. It started > > > > pulling to the right. Been down that road before. Tire tread > > > > separation, no doubt. But the right front tire was almost new (I know, > > > > that doesn't mean anything). But it looked fine (doesn't mean anything > > > > either, can have separation that doesn't show, but does cause rolling > > > > resistance and heat). By the time I left El Paso, there was a solid > > > > vibration. Checked the left front and there it was. Puzzled me as to > > > > why a bad left tire would cause it to pull to the right!? Didn't look > > > > serious yet, so kept on driving. > > > > > > > > Lost all the propane. I had replace the regulator last summer, and > > > > noticed a small leak at the connection I couldn't get out. Must have > > > > developed into a big leak. Anyone know a handy fix? > > > > > > > > El Paso is not a bad place to go to excape the summer heat. (How's that, > > > > you say?) Sure, it goes up to 100 F every day, but it is dry, and the > > > > altitude is over 3700 ft. Makes a big difference. Can handle it easy. > > > > Also, it cools off rapidly as soon as the sun goes down, no ac needed. > > > > As opposed to Ft. Worth, where you hurry from AC to AC, and leave it on > > > > all night. > > > > > > > > Drove up to the mountain town of Riodosa, NM, summer playground of rich > > > > Texans. A bit of a challenge for the underpowered brick. Just open it > > > > up, leave it there, and hope for the best. A little disconcerting to be > > > > passed by semis... > > > > > > > > Was not looking forward to the return drive to Ft.Worth, but it had been > > > > about a month since I left... The return is on 2 lane country roads > > > > until the last leg into Ft. Worth. At first got 18+ mpg, but dropped to > > > > 16.1 as a nasty headwind developed. > > > > > > > > Now the tire was getting really bad, and I was hanging on to the wheel > > > > to keep it straight, wondering if a hard left turn was still possible. > > > > When I got to the freeway I decided enought was enough, and put the > > > > spare on. > > > > > > > > Front came thu, mpg went over 18 for the last leg. > > > > > > > > Overall, not a bad trip for the Beast. At 140k miles, it's a hobbly > > > > keeping everything going. Sometimes I think I would sell it if offered > > > > the right price. But I'd probably be looking for another a year later. > > > > This one has no rust, no leaks, burnt l qt oil in 2000 mi, AC blows > > > > cold. I guy could do worse. > > > > > > > > Got a new tire for $15 with allowance, dropped it off at the mechanics > > > > to find out why it is running rich. He adjusts the air mass meter with > > > > an allen wrench (WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS TELL ME ABOUT THAT?). After I had > > > > the thing off and was trying to open it up! Then he adjusts the timing, > > > > says distributer is not advancing all the way. I figured that. > > > > > > > > Charged me $115! Wanted to charge $215 but I screamed. Said he had 4.5 > > > > hrs in it. I couldn't figure out how. > > > > > > > > Well, it's running good now, altho a new distributor is probably in the > > > > works... > > > > > > > > TBill > > > > > > > > ***Warning: Dates in the calender are closer than they appear**** > >