Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 1997 00:52:01 -0600
From:         Tony Mysyk <mysykt@CADVISION.COM>
Subject:      Re: Repair Front Rack and Pinion?

Brent,

I just recently had my rack replaced because it had leaked fluid from the pistons(bad seal) but the problem is still not fixed, repair shop has put in 2 rebuilt racks, both of which leaked, the latest only hours after getting the van back, fluid drained from the input shaft connection where the steering column connects. the rack rebuilder asked if my pressure was checked? I had no idea that the rack needed approx. 1200lbs pressure in the system to drive power steering!, there is a valve in the ps pump that is supposed to regulate this pressure, and am exploring getting the valve replaced. the seal at the input shaft my also have to be replaced, if anything it has shown me the value of a warranty on a rebuilt part. (but hey they charged me $630.00 can originally)

Racks are available for less money and was desperate, worked out ok, the shop didn't charge me anything to replace the second time.

My shop that repairs the van does not have the pressure gauge to check anyone know of a work around to test the power steering pressure?

Tony Mysyk Calgary, Ab, Can

---------- > From: Brent Gardner <bgardner@PRINCETON.EDU> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: Repair Front Rack and Pinion? > Date: Wednesday, August 27, 1997 9:12 AM > > I recently got my 87 Westy Syncro realigned and the mechanic told me I > needed a new Rack and Pinion. I don't have the $700 required to fix it. > What happens if I don't get it repaired? > Thank you in advance, > Brent Gardner > > P.S. Does anyone know of any good Vanagon mechanics in Eugene, Oregon?