Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:31:56 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <list@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Poptop Skylights - $66.00 !!!!

I was going to hold off a while on posting this because they're still a week away (and besides I didn't want to bother the list with two commercial posts so close together), but my phone/email's been going crazy since I mentioned them at the bottom of my Specials announcement, so I thought I'd better get this info out to you right away. (Easier than having to repeat it to everyone one by one. :-)

I am now sourcing those infamous Vanagon poptop replacement skylights from a new source, and the price is much better. This is something I've had on my mind for a while, since we all know the price of the Volkswagen ones is pretty steep.

I had an opportunity to compare these to the originals, and they are virtually identical. Same double-walled construction, same build quality, same overall fit and finish as the original. The only difference I could see is that the tint is a little darker than on the original. The manufacturer has been selling these skylights to some VW dealers for a while now (who, I'm sure, are selling them for the same price as the Volkswagen ones and pocketing the difference).

In addition, I have made a buy of factory-seconds. The defect is some tiny bubbles in the glue that holds the two layers together. This bond is heat-treated and very strong, and the manufacturer assures me that the defect is purely cosmetic and will not affect the longevity of the skylights. He has been selling these seconds locally to very positive response. I looked at one and while the defect is noticable, it is really very minor in my opinion. In fact I'm going to put one on my '89.

The price for NEW, first-quality, tinted skylights is $99.95. The price for the factory-seconds is $66.00. They are clear. I do have three tinted seconds for $6.00 more.

I have ten seconds coming next week, not sure when/if I'll get more after that. (Of course, the manufacturer is striving for zero "seconds.") From the response so far, I suspect that the "seconds" will be be pre-sold by the time they get here.

I'll drop the price of a new one down to $93.50 to anyone who e-mails me within the next few days but misses out on the seconds. (I will not honor this price on new ones again, since it's really cutting things too close to the bone.) Of course, prices exclude postage.

On another issue, the power steering pumps I posted earlier today are now sold out, and only one pair of the front shocks is still available.

Saving you money (again)... Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com