Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:39:42 -0400
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      installing a vented catalytic heater (L)

After agonizing over various types of heaters, such as the Suburban and t= he Propex, I opted for a VENTED catalytic heater from Thermal Systems in Tumwater, WA. I hated giving up the space under the rear seat or a cabinet. Relocating all the stuff stored in those places would have required a box taking up considerably more floor space than the box I bui= lt to hold the heater. If my memory is correct, the box the heater fits in = is about 29x14x3 inches-tall, but taking up little floor space. I put it behind the front passenger seat at a 45 degree angle, roughly facing a person sitting at the left end of the rear seat. After covering it with gray formica to match the rest of the interior, it fits in nicely without=

looking out of place. Putting it at a 45 degree angle also makes it possible to turn the front passenger seat almost all the way around. The=

top of the box then makes a handy small table for a person using the fron= t passenger seat facing rearwards. I should mount a cup holder there, but haven't done so.

The manufacturer's address and phone number:

Thermal Systems Incorporated =

2757 29th Street S.W. =

Tumwater, WA 98502 =

360-352-0539 =

Venting is also very easy with this installation, requiring only a 1 1/2 in. hole through the raised area under the passenger seat (r. of the battery box) into the wheelwell. The rubber hose provided with the heate= r reaches through and past the wheelwell edge to vent nicely. I ran the propane line from a tee on the propane tank, under the gas tank plate, through the wheelwell wall to the heater. This type of heater draws 1 am= p and so far I've gotten away without an aux. battery, although I will probably install one eventually. By removing one bolt, unplugging the thermostat and power wires, and capping the propane line, I can remove it= , box and all as a unit, in about five minutes, although I seldom do. I've=

used it a lot and am very happy with the heat it produces and also with i= ts miserly propane and electricity use.

I ran the thermostat wire around the edge of the cabin and installed the thermostat on the wall of the closet. =

I'm pretty happy with this arrangement. It has both advantages and disadvantages compared to the underseat Propex, which is also a very nice=

solution and is discussed at length in the archives. Anyone desiring a completely out-of-sight solution should go with furnace-type heaters like=

the Propex or Suburban. I think the vented catalytic heaters are cheaper= - about $330 for the 6000-btu size- and a bit easier to install. =

Bill Dummitt