Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Aug 1997 18:11:42 +1000
From:         Jack Newton <johnn@TRIODE.NET.AU>
Subject:      Re: Coolant warning light trouble

Johan Nyberg writes:

> I have a problem with the coolant level warning light. Sometimes it goes on > flashing for a very long time (5 minutes or so) after the engine is started >' Hi Johan

It seems to me as if you have a bad electrical contact between the sensor and the controller in relay position #3. Although Bentley is pretty silent on this sensor I believe its modus operandum is:

A voltage across the sensor's two metal prongs which are immersed in coolant sees a fairly high resistance which the controller interprets as "Coolant Present". When the coolant level drops, the resistance seen by the sensor's two prongs, which are not now immersed, is infinite i.e. open circuit. The controller interprets this as "LOW COOLANT' and, after an interval, the warning light starts to flash. The time interval is set by a circuit in the controller.

It follows from this that if the connections are bad an open circuit may occur which the controller interprets as LOW COOLANT and, after a few seconds delay, the light will flash, this is a fail safe feature of the circuit.

I would suggest you check the sensor and controller for bad connections with the ignition off. The fact that wiggling the wires at the connector changes the circuit's behaviour also indicates that the problem is a bad connector (I always suspect the connectors). Clean the male and female contacts and making sure that the sockets are not slack.

There is another possibility and that is that there are problems with the controller circuit but I think that's more unlikely. The best way to check is to plug in a controller which works if you can borrow one and see if it cures the problem.

'll be interested to see how you go on and what advice other listees suggest.

I hope this helps. Best of luck

Jack Newton Sydney Australia 89 Transporter Safari Campervan