Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Aug 1997 02:38:19 -0700
From:         TBill <tbill@STARTEXT.NET>
Subject:      Re: starting problems

Colin Rogers wrote: > > This is our first message to the list, so i hope I'm doing all correctly. > Anyway... on to the problem: > > Our 84 Vanagon has had the same starting problems as one of the other list > members has described over the last few days. Most of the time, it starts > just like it should, but once in a while (once every couple of weeks?) All > of the normal indicator lights come on, a "whirring" noise is heard in back > (a fuel injection pump?) but no starter, no solonoid, nothing.

FWIW, same thing happened to me. Replaced the switch, no help. Sometimes had to crawl underneith and start with a screwdriver on the starter solenoid. Of course, it worked fine when I got it to the mechanics. One mechanic put a little booster box on it that helped for a while. After a few more episodes with the screwdriver I put a starter button on top of the battery case and ran a wire directly to the solenoid. The switch still works when the whether is cool and dry, but as soon as things heat up we are back to using the button. I think the wiring is going bad. Notice the harness takes a tight 180 degree turn around metal near the engine. Wire could be slowly parting there. That's my best guess. TBill