Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:22:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      Canadian rebuilds

Hello Alex,

I don't know the tract record for Canadian rebuilds, but I have one that was installed at 42,000. My van has 188,000 on it now, thats about 146,000 on the motor. I have not had any overheating problems with it. I live in Arkansas and the temp here in the summer gets into the 100's upon occasion. I drive my van fairly hard, a 25 mile trip at between 65 to 75 MPH on a daily basis. The temp runs at about 180 to 190 all the time at speed. The only time it goes up is at a stand still.

You need to find a good VW mechanic and have them check the cooling system over. A blockage of some kind would explain the overheats at high rpms. Air can block a system and keep it from working correctly. The bubble may be out of the way at low flow rates and move to block the flow at higher flow rates. I have seen this happen on industrial pumps.

Hope this little bit of info helps.

Colin Moran '86 Syncro GL "The Bronze Brick" 188,000 and still going