Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 08 Aug 1997 12:34:05 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <drew@interport.net>
Subject:      Re: gears for syncro 16--tall tires

At 12:56 PM 8/8/97 -0300, you wrote: >>If so, then its on to the microfiche, to study what parts to order to change >>ring and pinion to 6.14.

Ooops. I think the correct figure is 6.17. I have been mis-stating it as 6.14.

>That's the bad part.. you need two rings, F+R, then you need rear the >pinion shaft, about 18" shaft with the pinion gear carved out of one end. >Sadly you will need to completely dissassemble the ENTIRE transmission, swap >the bearings/gears/shifters/synchros over. I'd call Chris Weddle for a >quote for the job and parts and dump it in his lap. I'd wait for Tom N. >friend to have the beefed up trans specs (to withstand TDi torques) and then >see if those mods can be included. Or..... find a dead trans and send it

Good idea!

>in for rebuild plus your work and simply bank your good old one away (or >sell for ~$2K!!!)

I have a spare rear trans. I guess the real ticket is to get Tom N. to help us locate and purchase a used 6.17 trans from europe and then sell our current transmissions into the marketplace.

> And the front diff needs the new pinion shaft+install too, but nowhere >near as much work. Get the front locker done up at same time, natch. On the >off-road.com list although they talk about Lock-Rite lockers (avail from >Weddle) as being good for traction, the inability to choose when they are >engaged makes them way less desirable than the VW/SDP lockers, way less. > >The 31.5" fits in with that story of 31x10.50x15" tires on a Syncro I heard >about... maybe true after all?

Great. 31 x 10.50 x 15 sounds like the ticket! Or even more narrow if neccessary

If they fail to clear the rear trailing arms, then possibly we could have our rear trailing arms reworked to provide more clearance.

>bye, Tim

Why don't I ask my new SDP contact that question about the VC juice. How should I phrase it. Something innocent like:

I have a poorly funciton viscous coupling unit on the bench in my workshop (after highway driving it functions too powerfully) and looking to refill this unit with renewed fluid. Can you advise us as to the viscocity rating and fluid type for refilling this unit? ___________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net