Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Aug 1997 09:30:44 -0700
From:         Erik Rhodes <ErikRhodes@platsoft.com>
Subject:      RE: Basic VW camper info needed

Matt,

Here's something to maybe look out for more than what specifically to buy:

I bought a 1979 Westphalia about two years ago. It's a good car but there have been a few expensive repairs. I would just say that if you're going to go for one of the older ones--and unless you specifically want to love an older one, don't do it--make sure to take it to Volkswagen and get a full diagnostic checkout. They're built to last but old cars are old through and through and there are just a lot of things that just need to go bad after a certain number of years no matter how good they're built, no way around it, from transmissions to wheel bearings and little rubber thingies and seat covers.

So if you're looking for a functional travel machine off the bat, I'd really suggest getting as new a van as you can. An old van well taken care of is certainly better than a beat up newer van, but all things being equal, go with the newer model.

Good luck and welcome! Erik