Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:57:25 -0400
From:         "Linda Bartnik" <lbart@preferred.com>
Subject:      odometer success?

I feel like I'm gonna jinx myself by posting this, but...

Thanks to the kindness of a fellow listmember, I was able to obtain a new odometer drive gear for the '81, after the old one cracked and rendered the odometer useless.

I will not reveal the listmember's name as of yet, but he has a speedometer repair shop nearby and got the gear there, and sent it to me. I believe he is in the process of ordering more gears from this shop so he can help out other listmembers who have this common problem.

Anyway, I was able to install the new gear without too many problems. The first thing I found out was that it was a lot harder to get the new gear on the shaft than it was to get the old cracked gear off. it really has to be pressed on, but you can fake it with a correctly sized c-clamp, and then a couple small sockets and strong thumbs.

Once I got the gear replaced, I noticed that the odometer would stop every time two numbers were to come up on the trip odometer. I took it back out (I got really good at removing the speedometer, I can do it now without completely removing the instrument cluster, takes about 5 minutes) and found that there is a metal gear next to the previously cracked gear which was slipping on the shaft and consequently when the extra load of turning two numbers rather than just one came up, the gear slipped on teh shaft rather than turn the numbers.

so, off came the new gear, I drove the shaft back a little bit so I could get off the metal gear (I was getting worried, hoping to God I didn't break anything), pulled the metal gear out of there (just barely fits, BTW), put a dab of super glue in the center of the gear, then quick like a bunny put it back and slid the shaft through, then re-installed the new gear.

I let it dry for a while, then tested it with the drill.

Seemed to work OK (BTW, I omitted a few mistakes I made, so no, it wasn't really that easy). Re-installed it, then found out that the thing would bind up when two numbers were to turn over on the regular odometer rather than the trip odometer. Got really pissed, pulled it out again, setting a new speed record in the processs (glad the Vanagon speedometer is so easy to get to). Apparently my super glue-ing had gummed up part of the works. Oops! I gave it a little prying and nudging with a screwdriver, then ran it on the drill for about 30 miles to test, at about 60 mph. I had to help it along at first but then it started turning over those two-numbers with no problem. coincidentally, it was going from 790 to 800 so I let it turn over three numbers just to see if it would work, it did. So I put it back in the van and it's been working fine since then, and I've driven it about 30 or so miles since then.

Looking at the mechanism while running it with the drill, I was impressed with how cleverly it was designed. Too bad it breaks so damn often! :-)

it would be very difficult for me to describe how it works, what with the number changing, but you can see if you study the insides while it's in motion. It's almost worth pulling it out just to see :-)

so, what I've learned here: 1) it's very nice to have a new gear rather than trying to repair the old one. 2) Don't reset the trip odometer while the vehicle is in motion -- save yourself all this aggravation. 3) Don't attempt to spin that metal gear, it's not supposed to spin on the shaft!! DOH! 4) Remember to hook up the speedometer cable before the test drive. DOH! 5) Make sure you push that multi-pin connector to the instrument panel back in all the way or your dash will act funky. 6) Don't post your supposed success to the list! The van will see and the odometer will break again.

Soon I suppose I will have to write this up as a procedure and add it to the tech page on my website (which hasn't been updated in ages, BTW). It's really not too complex and the speedometer is very easy to remove and take apart.

Thanks for reading, sorry it was so long.

Sean