Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Aug 1997 22:02:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Tim Marciniak <tmarcini@execpc.com>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon airconditioning hoses

>Just a tip (OK a story) to share about vanagon A/C hoses. > >A few years ago I had problems keeping A/C refrigerant in my 84 Vanagon. >Checked all the connections over and over, and found no problem. Borrowed >an electronic leak detector, and found nothing around the connections. >Laying under the van, I started to study the long rubber hoses that stretch >from engine to condensor (way up front). Hoses were kind of oily (slick). >Lo and behold, the electronic leak detector beeps along the entire length >of the hoses! Apparently the hoses had deteriorated with age, and R12 was >just oozing through the hoses, taking trace amounts of oil with it. > >Dealer wanted space shuttle prices for hoses (they're really long). None >of the FLAPS could order them either - the compressor connections used on >the vanagon are rare. My solution: Found a place that carries A/C hose in >bulk (made by Goodyear). I bought about 30 feet, and got some special >clamps. The clamps look like regular hose clamps, but they're a bit >sturdier and have a small metal hook tack-welded to the band. The hook is >used to make sure the clamps are installed at exactly the right position on >the hose end. I went home and cut off the OEM crimp clamps (they cut off >very easily with a hacksaw, but be careful not to damage the metal >connector pipe underneath the hose.) > >The Goodyear hose has thicker walls than OEM hoses, but the inside >diameters are a teeny bit smaller. I had to work hard pushing the old >metal connectors into the new hose. But once I finished, I was really >pleased. Kept A/C in the car for about two years... > >I've lost the charge again, but this is due to the compressor connectors >coming loose. I haven't figured out a way to keep those connections tight. >Over time, engine vibration and motion seems to loose the connections. >Then the O-rings get beat up, and the gas escapes. With today's R12 >prices, I'll probably just go without. So I've got nice hoses with no >freon ... sigh. > >John Hung >84 GL >jhung@eng.auburn.edu >www.eng.auburn.edu/~jhung

John,

This is a great idea, and I'm about to take a similar approach in fixing three hoses on my van. VW dealer wants about $300 to $500 each for these hoses. I talked with a couple of local A/C shops who said I should bring in the old hose and they will make a copy. They will also try to reuse the old fittings.

Where did you find the Goodyear hose, was it available in different metric sizes? I guess its very important to use the correct size diameter hose so that the fittings don't loosen up as you described.

Tim