Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Aug 1997 17:17:34 -0700
From:         Erik Rhodes <ErikRhodes@platsoft.com>
Subject:      Good Mechanic Info

> ---------- > From: SyncroHead@aol.com[SMTP:SyncroHead@aol.com] > Sent: Saturday, August 09, 1997 12:29 AM > To: ErikRhodes@platsoft.com; vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu > Subject: Re: Basic VW camper info needed > > In a message dated 97-08-08 12:49:20 EDT, ErikRhodes@platsoft.com > writes: > > << If you're in the > Los Angeles/Orange County area of Southern California, I can tell you > a > great mechanic and a place to avoid. >> > > Spill it Erik! What shop? > > Jim Davis > > Wup, sorry, didn't mean to keep anyone hanging there, here's what I sent Matt:

A very honest and capable mechanic is:

T-N-T Automotive 3303 East 19th Street Signal Hill, CA 90804 (562) 439-6720

Tom is the owner and sole mechanic. I've tended to do most of my own work when I could over the years and have only taken things to him that I didn't know how to fix or that were a bigger job than I wanted to hassel with. He's knows his stuff and has never told me something was wrong that wasn't--I've tested this because usually I knew what was wrong and didn't want to do it myself out of the size of the job. That and every time I always could honestly say that I wouldn't have charged less than he did. He's a good guy.

You wouldn't be down this far probably, but there's Nyscoe Motors in Santa Ana worth avoiding at ALL cost. Somehow I've had people refer them to me, but they not only do shoddy work, they jack up part prices to the ceiling and I highly suspect that they did an unneccessary cylinder head replacement on my bus. After dealing with them, I have learned to always to go through the extra hassel of getting my car down to Tom in Signal Hill.

Never take convenience over the certainty of a good mechanic, Nyscoe was a nightmare I was lured into because they were 15 minutes on surface streets from where I live, while Tom is a 30 minute drive on the freeway in good traffic. But very well worth it!