Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Aug 1997 09:28:59 -0700
From:         "Bob Bellanca" <bajatrvlr@abac.com>
Subject:      Re: "82 Diesel suddenly runs warm

Harvey, Sounds like a possible head leak to me...I had a similar problem a while back. Does your cooling system pressurize prematurely (before it's warmed up)? As mine didn't go through a lot of coolent, it was hard to diagnose. Wasn't till I actually pulled the head that a definative cause was found. Very minor gasket leak was the cause. Meanwhile, I drove it for over a year... Good luck, Bob Bellanca

---------- > From: Chao, Harvey <Chao#m#_Harvey@msgate.wdl.lmco.com> > To: Multiple recipients of list <vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu> > Subject: "82 Diesel suddenly runs warm > Date: Saturday, August 09, 1997 3:02 PM > > To: Vanagon Digest > > Could use some help on this one. > > Been original owner of an '82 diesel vanagon, now at 179K miles. Except > under a few very rare (and understandable) circumstances, it has never = > run > warmer than the temp needle at the left hand edge of the LED in the temp. > gauge. Coupla weeks ago, wife noticed that at freeway speeds, it ran > warmer, at the right hand edge of the led, but cooled down if she slowed > down to say 50-55. > > > So - I ordered a new thermostat from VW, and had it installed with fresh > phosphate free antifreeze. On the way home I noticed that the engine = > temp > now runs steady state at the right hand edge of the LED all the time. > > Now - although this probably isn't "overheat" it is warmer than it has = > run > for the last 15 years. > > I don't think that the electric radiator fan is an issue here, I don't > think the current temp is hot enough to trigger the fan, and the last = > time, > about a year ago stuck on a hot day in a traffic jam, I did hear it come > on, guess I could short the switch to verify, but the engine never ran = > hot > enough under nominal conditions (left hand edge of the LED) before to = > need > the fan. > > Coolant was last changed 2 years ago, and looking at the coolant tanks, > showed no signs of rust in the cooling system. > > Thanks > Harvey