Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Aug 1997 07:34:52 8
From:         "Wes Neuenschwander" <wesn@eskimo.com>
Subject:      Re:  Roaring sound

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:30:36 -0700 > From: Juli <julim@inetnow.net> > To: vanagon@lenti > Subject: Roaring sound : 0 > Message-ID: <33EE4F1C.3AF5@inetnow.net> > > Last night after driving approximately 40 miles, a whumpa, whumpa sound > began that sounded sort of like we were driving over ripply pavement. It > wasn't very loud until we began our return drive home (56 miles). It > increased to a sort of roar and worsened on acceleration (it got better > when I slowed). I stopped a few times and felt the shaft where the > wheels were attached (I thought it sounded like it was coming from the > front of the vehicle and those riding in the rear said it sounded like it > was coming from the rear) and didn't notice any heat or hot smells. I > was about half-way home so I decided to drive slowly (about 40mph) and > try to make it without having to have her towed in. By the time we had > traveled about 15 more miles, the sound had stopped! > > What should I have checked tomorrow? The wheel bearings? I had the > drums rotated and it all greased up less than 9 months ago (and since > then Jiffy Lube--don't give me a hard time about having them do the > job--greased it). I had noticed a funny clicking sound coming from my > odometer after they replaced the little wire part that fits into the > wheel shaft that works it and probably should have mentioned it to them > as soon as I noticed it. The clicking stopped about the same time the > funny sound last night began. I'm beginning to wonder if there is any > connection between the two. > > Also, my muffler is MUCH louder as of a couple of days ago. Could be a > hole in it but I don't think there is a connection here to the other > problem. > > Any help would be very much appreciated whether private e-mail or on the > list. > > Thanks! > > Juli > '81 Deluxe Westy

If I'm not mistaken, you've got a problem with your CV joints. The grease in these joints wears out from heat and friction after 50-75 K miles, causing the balls to bind in the races, resulting in that 'whumpa-whumpa' sound (particularly at lower speeds or when making a turn) or a loud, hammering roar (at higher speeds). May be quiet for the first few miles (until the joint heats up) and may go away, at least in the early stages, when speed is reduced (allowing the joint to cool). If you catch the problem in time, the joints can be disassembled, throroughly cleaned and inspected, and repacked with grease. If driven very long in this condition however, it's likely the CV joints will be damaged and must be replaced. Best bet is to routinely disassemble and repack the CV's every 40K or so. Also, make sure that the rubber boot covering the CV's is regularly inspected. A tear in the CV boot (and they *do* tear, especially on rocky roads) will allow dirt to enter, ruining the CV joint pronto.

-Wes

Wes Neuenschwander Seattle, WA wesn@eskimo.com