Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:56:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:         GMBulley@aol.com
Subject:      insulation, undercoating, Kool Patch (wee-bit long)

Okay, I haven't yet lived up to my commitment to share ALL of my secrets of sound-proofing and insulation in ONE posting, but I am working on it. A couple of weeks, in the mean time...

We have all laid under our vans and wondered where in the world we could find nice, thick, gooey, rubbery, asphalty, undercoating like VW plastered all over the bottoms of our precious, expensive hobbies. We see chips and flakes and want to do SOMETHING about it...

Some of us have succommed to the temptation to purchase that pathetic spray on undercoating, (15 coats = 1/64" thick). Sad.

For those who REALLY want to deaden sound, and protect the metal of your van from salt and debris, I finally found the product, and you will love the price. It is marketed under the name "Kool Patch" made by the company "Kool Seal" of Ohio, you can find it in the roofing section of Hechingers. On the gallon bucket, it offers itself as useful for a myriad of purposes, including automobile undercoating.

As we are preparing (wife) Suzy's bus for a 9,000 mile jaunt to CA, Mexico, and all points in between throughout the month of October, and all of the interior is stripped and being reupholstered, I hesitantly bought a gallon last weekend to coat all of the "behind-the-scenes" interior surfaces. What a difference!!! Tremendously reduced resonance, rattles and reverberations. Absolutely seals against leaks and rust. Two coats can be (no joke) 1/4 inch thick.

It appears to be precisely the same oozey goop that you see caked (and maybe flaking?) on the exposed metal below your VW road home. At $8.57 a gallon, you can't beat it. We have now applied three gallons, and will apply a fourth this weekend. There is no obnoxious odor, it doesn't weigh 650 lbs (like asphalt/rubber tiles), it cleans up with water (before it dries, afterward, you'll need a jackhammer), and a cheap "dollar store" 3" poly brush is perfect for application.

I hope you can get as excited about undercoating as I am.

Keep 'em running,

gmbulley fairfax, va