Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:14:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:         cmoran@cswnet.com (Colin A Moran)
Subject:      vacumn guage installation

. Tim>Q: how does the vac gauge work? long vac. tube to dash unit, or sensor >with electric connection? thanks. Tim

Erik>I haven't read the earlier parts of this thread, but this is very >interesting. Do you mean you have a vacuum gauge hooked up so you see >it as you are driving, on the dash? If so, how have you hooked this up? >I have a 79 bus and would really like to hook up something similar.

Hello Tim, Erik I have installed a console above the windshield, the bottom of which is just above the rear view mirror. It extends across the van from door frame to door frame. I had to remove the sun visors to mount it. I am thinking about a mounting location just below the radio. I question the wisdom of removing the sun visors. The hook up of the vacumn gauge is fairly easy. I used a mechanical vacumn guage. cheaper than an electric guage, also electric guages are hard to find. I used a small diameter vacumn hose to connect the guage to the engine. Remember that a vacumn hose has heavier walls than a normal rubber hose. This is to prevent the hose collapse and the small size improves accuracy over the long distance from the engine to the dash. I cut the vacumn line going into the fuel pressure regulator and installed a tee. I hooked the guage into the tee. This may slow the reaction of the fuel regulator, but I have had no problems with fuel pressure. The guage has been installed for about 5 years. The guage responds rapidly to engine vacumn changes despite long run.

At idle the engine pulls a vacumn of around 14" of Hg, or inches of mecury. Running at 65mph on level ground with a fresh tune-up the engine pulls 10"of Hg. Under heavy load, accelerating hard or pulling a steep hill the vacumn will read about 2" to 4" of Hg. when decelerating the reading jumps to around 21" of Hg The needle should at all times be steady or smoothly changing. Any erratic movements of the needle indicate a possible problem. A stuck valve shows up as a reduced vacumn reading at idle with a fluttering needle. A vacumn leak shows up as a reduced reading at idle and when decelerating. When a reduced vacumn is noted at normal loads, cruising or low speeds, its time for a tune-up.

As with all diagnositc equipment it takes practice to be able to determine a problem from the readings. Take note of how the gauge reads and then do a tune up. This will aid you in determining how the engine reacts. Also constant monitoring of the vacumn will teach you how your engine runs normaly. When you start seeing abnormal readings its time to check the engine closer.

If anyone has anymore questions I will try and answer them. Colin Moran '86 Syncro GL "The Bronze Brick" 188,000 and still going