Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:58:13 -0700
From:         Kelly Bauman <bauman@ican.net>
Subject:      Re: RV dealer pricing on refrigerator

<SNIP> >with a bill for $380! No parts were included. > >What do you think? > >Does this seem exhorbitant? > Ed,

You got hosed. I had my Westy fridge repaired recently. In an area of over 1 million people there was only 1 place that claimed to be Dometic 182B experts. This was confirmed when I pulled in to a service area full of Westys (12 of them). This was also reconfirmed when it took the mechanic only 10 minutes to pull the fridge.

Yes it did cost me C$430 (US$305) but they warned me in advance it would take about 3.5 hours (at C$59 / US$42 per hour) labour or longer if there were major problems. They replaced about C$175 in parts. I had sourced the parts via mail order and the dealer had a better price. They called to ask my permission to install (and charge me for) the parts.

That's the way it should be. Start screamin'. The BBB, state consumer departments, RV chat groups, or whatever. I had a friend who got hosed by a dealer on a new car where the engine blew after 53 weeks (52 week warranty). One Saturday he went down to the dealership with a picket sign. In about 15 minutes the dealer figured he had suffered enough damage to his reputation that he agreed to pick up the cost. Go for it. Kelly Bauman Delta, BC '91 Westy