Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 97 08:53:35 EDT
From:         Eric Henning <henning@fp.com>
Subject:      oil temp sender install

First off, thanks to ron at bus depot for going out of his way to get = me some parts i wanted for the maiden voyage of my 80 westy.

second, uh-oh, i think i messed up. i removed the oil pump cover as dire= cted in the directions for the oil temp sender (411/914-4 engines). drilled a = 9/16" hole according to those same directions. went to install the cover back in = place and find that i cant't get the two mounting bolts lined up because the = sender interferes with metal inside engine block. maybe my drilled travelled = alittle when drilling but the result is irreversible so i need a new oil pump = cover. hopefully i can find one at a junkyard. anybody know of another source?

so, on my next try can i pick a spot on the cover with more clearance? = it seems you only have to worry about the dipstick contacting the sensor? also i noticed when i removed the cover there is a slot that wraps part = way around the oil pump cover cavity about 3 inches long by 3/8" high. the = edges of this slot were kind of chewed up. there was no metal bits laying around = in there so i don't think it is recent damage? what is the purpose of this = slot? just an path?

wiring the temp gauge was quite easy by the way. looks like i'll be = taking the windstar to cape cod (business, not camping).

any advice will be appreciated.

thanks eric henning@fp.com