Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 97 17:19:07 -0500
From:         Maureen Stretch <mstretch@sprintmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Newbie

Don Gibbons answers to my questions are below.

Thanks Don, I appreciate the info on the head gaskets. While the air conditioner is wonderful, I have been careful to turn it down or off if the temperature gauge moves above the indicator light. I have even turned the heater on when I was in bumper to bumper traffic to keep the temp indicator near the light and not above it. Am I being too cautious? The fellow I bought it from recommended doing this to keep it cool.

Thanks again.

>=8C91 Vanagon GL Westfalia >======== Fwd by: Don Gibbons ======== >Hi, welcome to the list. >1. I may have started this thread about hi temps and head gasket problems. >The water jacket gasket is made of a rubberlike material and as such will go >bad the higher temp it is exposed to. Anything that keeps the gasket temp >down will make it last longer. I sugested a coolant re-circulation pump as >are on some recent VW's. Other then changing the coolant and making sure >that it does not get low there is nothing that can be done to help gasket >life (short of getting the gasket temp down) > >2. Only a little high. If you walked into a VW dealer and asked that the >entire system from heads to tail pipe be replaced the bill would come to >three digits (yes maybe $3,000) All is not so dim. The after market has all >parts at a fraction of the dealer price. I did my syncro (most of the parts) >for less then $600. But keep in mind that the factory parts are very good >and last a long time > >3. The best site is the list and its archives. > >4. I had a 82 that was not very good in the snow depending on how loaded it >was. With empty it was OK. With a full load (lots in front) it was not very >good. After that I had a 87 syncro (so maybe I am spoiled) with 4 snow tires >that went thru anything. Studed tires are best in bad conditions and should >get you thru most winters. > >93 Eurovan MV >87 syncro (sold) >82 Vanagon ex-diesel (sold but still around) >73 super. >

Maureen Stretch 91 Vanagon GL Westfalia