Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 97 17:39:00 -0500
From:         Maureen Stretch <mstretch@sprintmail.com>
Subject:      Re: Newbie

The Buslady wrote:

>hey a girl Vanagon fan!! YAY!!!

Likewise! I have seen some of your posts and love your signature line. Nice to know there are some of us girls out there in Vanagons.

>Im the owner of a 89 Vanagon GL namd Bessie. She's me & my son's best >friend, takes us where ever with no probs. >She wasn't mint likey ours but in excellent shape bodywise; >mechanically was another story. about $3000 later(heads,alt., >waterpump, clutch master and labor!) she's fine now. Just keep an eye >on the rear end on the ground!! If yours starts to drip, take 'er in.

Does it drip coolant or water? I think mine drips water from the air conditioner compressor but it is not the blue coolant color. >My heads blew with the water pump about a year & 1/2 ago. Granpa was >nice enough to bail me out and pay it. She had over 100,000 miles >when that happened. I got her with 96,000+ (hard to find a low miler >since they're not made anymore) and right now she's at 127,+++ miles. > > To keep the engine from overheating, just keep the water levels >right & oil in and she should be ok. If that doesnt work, have the >thermostat looked at or could be a blockage in the cooling system. >You can't really keep anything from happening. The head gaskets were >designed bad, entropy takes over and wears them out, coolant will >leak some day. (S***t like this happens with ANY car, remember NO car >is perfect)

Sigh. I know you are right and I am preparing for it, but I am so nuts about it I want to protect it.

>$3000 for a muffler system!?!?? yeah right! Never heard that one >before. It's true Vanagons are NOT cheap like the air cooled buses, >but not THAT much for exhaust! I saw it in the Bus Boys online >catalog(www.busboys.com) for $300. Stainless steel? I doubt it's >stainless, mine's all yukky lookin. And the muffler tailpipe rusts >out eventually.

Thanks, you back up what others have said. This is a big relief. I did replace the very end tailpipe already, for about $28 from a local foreign auto parts store. The muffler looks orange to me, but the mechanic who checked it out did not think it looked like it would go soon.

>TO keep it in excellent shape, just create a maintanence >schedule(mine sucks, Bessie's due for her yearly tune up, but im >broke right now!) and wash her yourself!! Vacuum, detail, everything. >Bessie still looks respectable after 2 1/2 yrs, she doesn't look much >different from when I got her.

>SHe's be great as your doggie show van!! You can strap the portable >cages on the little roof section the top has. (what breed?) Plenty of >roomfor the doggies to be comfy, plus you can put their food in the >fridge& keep it nice. (I wanna camper!!)

I have two Lhasa Apsos (they are the small ones with long hair that look a lot like Shih Tzus or miniature English Sheep Dogs.) They are seasoned travelers and love camping in the Vanagon. I have gone camping with them twice already at dog shows and they seem to like it a lot.

>>>I fell in love at first sight. >thats what happened to me when I saw Bessie all alone at the dealer >with 'manager's special $7999' scribbled on her windshield. They >havent had a vanagon since! VERY VERY popular vehicle in SoCal!!!!!

You have the right climate for Bessie. I worry about subjecting Johann - I am sure he is male - to New England winters when he grew up in Georgia. I am even thinking of getting a cover for him for the worst of winter. I do not have a garage or carport.

Great to hear from you. If you are ever up in New England let me know!

_ >The Buslady & "Bessie" >1989 Vanagon GL > >"What's the point of being grown up if you can't act childish?!" -- >DrWHO #4 > >

Maureen Stretch 91 Vanagon GL Westfalia