Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:43:16 -0400
From:         Leavitt <mleavitt@tiac.net>
Subject:      Re: Rear Speakers

Hi all,

I finally got around to reading some of my Vanagon digests...I've been lurking way too long.

Stephen Jones wrote: > Also, I have a loose on/off switch on the panel that shows water / > battery level, so it cuts on and off. Is that worth attempting to > fix, should I browse junkyards or attempt to find a new one?

Hi Stephen,

You can get a replacement switch from Radio Shack. The switch that you want is a 'micro-mini, PC-mount, SPST switch. Costs less than a couple of bucks. Don't bother asking the employees for help unless you're looking to buy a portable CD player. I like to ask them technical questions just for fun, "Scuse me, could you tell me if this will work with a 4017 decade counter/divider chip?" hehehe

'PC-mount' just means that it has pins on bottom as opposed to tabs so it can be soldered to a printed circuit board and 'SPST' means single pole, single throw or 'on/off'. A single pole, double throw should probably work as well.

It's easy to install, you just remove the two screws on the panel and unplug the little circuit board from it's harness under the sink. The whole unit comes right out for easy desoldering of the old switch and soldering in of the new one. It helps if you have experience with soldering when you are working with those tiny pins, but it's basically a simple task.

I replaced mine with a SPDT with a center off position so that it could display the status of my secondary battery as well.

HTH, Noel ,-````````/ |`~~``\ / .~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`| \ | (N)oel "Cali or Bust!!!" Leavitt |~~~\ | (I)sabella - '78 Moto Guzzi V50 I | .~~| (R)achel - '68 VW Sunbug Autostick | \ | (Vana) - '81 VW Vanagon Westy Camper | / |.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` / `~~``) "I hate quotations" -Ralph Waldo Emerson `````````