Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:54:15 -0600
From:         "Tony Mysyk" <mysykt@cadvision.com>
Subject:      Shifted to Death

You gotta love the list for all it's varied answers for supply problems.

My 2 c worth, Bus depot treated me just fine, Ron was understanding and helpful If I need parts he's my man(If I don't need them same day, I'm in Canada, the border is still a pain, although most of my UPS shipments(for different stuff, not from Ron) were free cause I asked to send them overnight and they couldn't get it to me like they promised!) Bus Boys...... Never dealt with them, probable never will, feel like I am an informed consumer, Thanks to the list.

But to the point, my 86 westi (manual 4 spd)won't let me put her in gear anymore. it was a slow and painless death with the trouble starting out as....gee it seems hard to shift into second, then it was......why can't I down shift from 3 to 2 to 1 unless I am stopped?....... then it just plain got nasty and made me start up in second gear and drive........so much for the stop signs(11:00pm), so today it was towed to the mechanics site where it may need more love and attention than I can give to it, for some reason my wife didn't want me to change the clutch in the driveway in front of our house(is that redneckish).

So , any suggestions from understanding and experienced readers on the possibility of the clutch fading from existence?

What I have noticed in the year that we have owned the van I have never mastered the clutch thing. it always seemed to let out rough, (chatter grama's teeth right out) :-)

could this clutch have been kind to me for the last year?

I did bleed the clutch slave cylinder and the arm that the cylinder moves still moves, the van will not start up in gear with the clutch pushed in without jerking the vehicle like the clutch is out.

I thought it may have been a shifter problem but I lubed the linkage and dry shifting seems easy to do.

Once I was going in gear the tranny didn't make any funny noises and the clutch didn't slip.

Helpless to shift Tony 86 westi