Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:17:20 EDT
From:         uvx196@juno.com (Jim Thompson)
Subject:      Libelous Remarks (Long) (Was Re: Bus Boys Saga continues)

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:37:37 -0700 Rob Clay <rob@traveller.com> writes: >Hello all: >I finally got a return call from Doug Hufnagle? owner of >Bus Boys. It turns out he is a dentist, and doesn't even >run Bus Boys.... I will admit it was good to finally get some >communication started.... Albeit rather weak... > >Here's how it went: > >He wanted to know if I wanted to hear his story. I said sure. >He begins by asking me if I know Jim, when I say yes, he wants >to know how. I tell him I don't aactually 'know' him, but that >I am familiar with who he is etc.... > >He then proceeds to tell me how Jim & Bill tried to destroy >his company. They stole things out the back door, erased computer >files, destroyed records, etc..... Goes on and on about how there >is a CASE #, and they're going to jail.... blah blah blah..... >Telling me how it's all their fault and BS to that effect. I quickly >reminded him that it was his company and therefore he was responsible >for the actions of his employees. > >(In no way am I trying to slam Jim or Bill, I am just relating what >the guy who *stole* from me told me, so take it for what its worth.) > >I tell him that is all besides the point and as far as I am concerned >it has nothing to with my situation. I think this guy chuckled more >during our short conversation than I have in a week... he kept >avoiding the real issue. Wanted to talk about company policy etc.. >Trying to say it wasn't company policy to credit an account unless >they had received the parts back. To that I asked, is it company >policy to steal from people? no real response to that one. > >Finally, after me asking several times, he says he *can* credit >my account instantly, DUH!!! But, does not say he will!! He does >say he *wants* to make things right. Yea me too!! Then he wants >to call me back, etc.... Conversation ended with him saying he >would call me back. > >He brought up the internet :) asked if I was the one who had been >posting, I told him yes indeed it was me. He wanted to know if >I was going to post more, I said yes indeed. He wanted to know >what I was going to post. I told him whatever you do is what I >will post. no response again. > >So, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. I can only hope! > >I'll let you all know what happens.

Ok folks, now it's time for me to step into the fray, FWIW.

I wish to go on record here to state that the remarks made by Doug Hufnagel, particularly the allegations made in Paragragh 4 of this text is totally false, is a result of mis-information, unconfirmed rumours, suspicions and without foundation as applicable to myself. I have spoken to Rob and he agrees that statements of this type are inflammatory and libleous. It only confirms what I have been slowly gathering from my own sources of information that Dr. Hufnagel is on a search and destroy mission to discredit my integrity in the VW community as a whole. There are people on both lists, people in this business that I have dealt with for up to 20 years that know of my fairness and integrity. If I was supposed to have "destroyed" records and such, why do I still live 2 blocks from Doug's house (yes, it's been uncomfortable to say the least these last 3 months) and have had no plans to re-locate out of the area? Does he think I'm that stupid to pull something like that and still stick around? What Case Number? If there was a case number, I would have been already served and known about it.

In the few months since leaving Bus Boys, I have spoken to great many people in the community that literally despise Dr. Hufnagel and his business practices, evasiveness and tactics. They never wanted to say anything before while I was running BBI because maybe, just maybe I could straighten the place out to have some respectability in the VW Biz. But buttin' heads with him after 4 years was all I could take and I am thankful I'm outa there.

However, these allegations made to Rob are serious and can be detrimental to my continued pursuit of reactivating my semi-dormant business and have sent the following letter to him via FAX in response to these allegations:

(Please note - attachment #1 is Rob's original posting above, attachment #2 is a letter sent to Doug on the 21st of May, 1997 in regards to other misinformation being spread to others that immediately contacted me [not shown here but similar to this letter]).

Dear Doug,

It has again come to my attention via third party E-Mail in the past 24 hours informing me of possible mis-information regarding my status of past employment, association and the circumstances of my termination of said association (at my request) at Bus Boys, Inc. Information that has been provided to me by person(s) include statement(s) of a derogatory matter of unconfirmed and unfounded suspicions and accusations of what I feel are of an inflammatory and libelous manner to the internet community as a whole and specifically to wit: The Type 2 Internet Mailing List and The Vanagon Internet Mailing List, which could preclude my possible continued efforts to reactivate and continue my own business, Sherwood Automotive/Old Volks Home or if I so choose, the pursuit of gainful employment.

I am securing permission from these person(s) to provide legal documentation to confirm these conversations. Such documentation will be provided to my legal counsel for appropriate action, as necessary. A copy of one particular E-Mail tramission is supplied in Attachment #1 of this letter.

I must make it clear that if any unfounded accusations, allegations, suspicions are spoken, written or otherwise transmitted to friends, customers, potential customers and vendors by any employee of Bus Boys, Inc., without my knowledge or permission and without substantial proof, that the employee(s) of Bus Boys, Inc., involved, Bus Boys, Inc., itself and you will be met with immediate legal action. In addition, I specifically request that retraction of the statement(s) made to this person shown in Attachment #1 regarding my past association with Bus Boys and must indicate that there are no confirmed instances of fraud, theft or destruction of records of Bus Boys, Inc., until a full investigation of the situation is concluded and an apology be made to the Type 2 Internet Mailing List and the Vanagon Internet Mailing List as a whole in regards to these inflammatory and libileous charges.

A further note to this situation is that this is the second time I have had unconfirmed alledged information regarding my past association with Bus Boys. On May 21, 1997, a letter was delivered, via fax to your office regarding a similar situation and from appearances, that situation was immediately attended to. A copy of that original letter is on Attachment 3, this letter.

A copy of this letter has been provided to the person(s) who have informed me of these circumstances, The Type 2 Internet Mailing List, The Vanagon Internet Mailing List, my legal representation and to the local labor relations board.

Your immediate attention into this matter is requested and will be certainly appreciated.

Respectfully Yours,

(Signed)

James E. Thompson

CC: Type 2 Internet List CC: Vanagon Internet List CC: Rob Clay CC: Legal Representation CC: State of California, Dept of Labor Relations

I have also reassured Rob that I have been working behind the scenes with Laura at Bus Boys to insure that Rob does get his credit when the parts do return to Bus Boys' doorstep. Although I wasn't even there when this situation began, Laura felt it was necessary to call me and ask for guidance about this situation and have done all I can do to rectify the problem and I have been more than happy to assist her.

One more thing to add - Walt and Laura are the only people there at Bus Boys these days trying to keep the place alive. Out of all the people there (and that were there), I know them well enough that they can be trusted to do the right thing by anyone having a problem (they are the only ones I could ever trust). They call me several times a week to ask this and that and I have had no qualms about giving them advice. So, as a listmember, I say give these two people a break, they're really trying as best as they can. But I wouldn't trust nor rely on Doug Hufnagel as far as I could throw him and no amount of money in the world could persuade me to go back and work for him as an employee or a partner ever again.

OK - Enough of this thread - let's see what happens. "Now back to your regularly scheduled programming" (besides - I'm missing Indiana Jones on HBO right now - oh well, Bruce Willis is next in Die Hard With A Vengeance).

Cheers

Jim Thompson Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home http://www.c-zone.net/jim96003/oldvolks.htm oldvolkshome1@juno.com (916) 221-5342 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle Sedan * 90 Fox Wagon