Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 97 03:47:51 UT
From:         "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes57@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: Need Reciever Hitch 82 Diesel Westy For Hitch Haul Basket

Is your hitch bolted with two or three bolts on each side to the body? If you are only using the factory mounting holes, you will destroy them if you use the hitch to carry any dead weight such as a luggage carrier.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- >From: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu On Behalf Of mark keller Sent: Thursday, August 14, 1997 5:05 PM To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: Re: Need Reciever Hitch 82 Diesel Westy For Hitch Haul Basket

Yo Mark,

Hey I caught your post on the hitch hauler/ receiver hitch request. I just got it done. But in case somebody is interested I'll tell the story.

I wanted to install a receiver hitch and Hitch Hauler for my 91 Carat BUT the 5" receiver portion is to long to hide completely beneath the bumper's dripline, water that is, otherwise the install is ok.

I had the hitch builder EXTEND the bumper mounting flanges 2" and shorten the reciever to 4 1/4". This means that the bumper now is 2" further from the van, and that the entire hitch will "hide" sans the receiver, behind the fiberglass bumper cover. That last point is a good reason to install a hitch alone.

The fiberglass bumper cover on the rear is a cosmetic device. The factory isn't required to install a crash beam on the rear of trucks. So the vanagon has no rear crash beam, but a a cosmetic doodad bumper cover. I just had a list member photo the setup, so it can be posted on the net.

Mark Keller 91' Carat WLE "Lazarus"