Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 97 03:44:25 UT
From:         "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes57@msn.com>
Subject:      RE: RV dealer pricing on refrigerator

I think eight hours labor is excessive. Maybe five with the obvious learning curve. To purchase this particular fridge new you need to refinance your house. You should learn to service the fridge yourself as it does have to be done occasionally. The less you run it on propane, the more often it will need cleaning. Also, it is extremely important that all seals are sealed correctly. Especially the chimney and baffle plates.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- >From: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu On Behalf Of Ed Stevens Sent: Thursday, August 14, 1997 1:53 PM To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: RV dealer pricing on refrigerator

I have had my 84 Wolfsburg GL Westie for 1.5 years and the refrigerator has never worked on propane (but did work on electricity and battery). Owing to a job change which suddenly presents an unexpected 2 week camping oppoortunity we are heading north from Valley forge PA to Acadia NP next week. I was interested in trying to fix the propane refrigerator myself but I did not have the time to follow the wonderful directions sent by Sean Bartnik to clean the jets, etc.

So I brought it to an RV dealer (Media Camping in Media PA). Last time I filled up the propane tank I saw gas leaking out of the fillup valvue. I wanted a pro to look into that before we went away. While I was getting that fixed I also wanted an estimate on the refrigerator. It worked two way and we usually used coolers. I made it clear that I would take the unit without any work on the refrigerator, I wanted an estimate on the frig and I had to have the propane tank looked into. Based on phone and personal conveyance of that I brought and left the vehicle.

I asked for a dometic estimate and (naturally) could not be told one until it was pulled out and looked at. They test and soaped it up and found no leak. They did lubricate a reset button just outside of the fill valvue. Good work, no problem here.

Well a _good_ and _thorough_ cleaning was what it took to fix the propane dometic and I picked up the unit today and I was presented with a bill for $380! No parts were included.

This represents 8 hours at $45 per hour. They never called me with an estimate and never in my wildest dreams did I think it would get this high without any phone call or any parts. Seems like he put on the blinders, fixed it and billed me without any regard for my wallet. I would not have had him go beyond $200 though I did not tell him that. I cannot imagine ever valuing this refrigerator on propane to the tune of over $300. I was told that $380 was typical for this work after it was done but never beforehand.

I would like some list opinions on this mechanics bill and lack of any estimate (as a matter of fact he never, ever called me in the four days he had my daily driver).

What do you think?

Does this seem exhorbitant?

Does it seem like business as usual in the RV repair business not to get an estimate?

Anyone have any idea how many hours were spent on the leak check? If 1-2 of the 8 were spent, it would leave 6-7 for the stove?

-TIA ed stevens ejstevens@earthlink.net

-peace

Ed Stevens Valey Forge, PA