Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Aug 1997 03:17:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:         JordanVw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: |'81 vanagon turbo dream

In a message dated 97-08-18 18:54:49 EDT, hrps@pi.net (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J.W.Bri=EBr?=) writes:

<< I own a '81 Vanagon, 1600 cc diesel. We have dubbed it the Volkswagen XLA (eXtremely Lazy Automobile). Since the car is in excelent condition bodywise (it is really very pretty, fire-engine red) I would like to keep it. However, every day I hope that when I wake up in the morning I find = a turbo under the hood.

No kidding, any of you know if it is possible to retrofit a turbo to the standard engine. Is it feasible or total nonsens and should I start looki= ng for another vehicle instead. =20 (BTW, are fire-engines red in the US of A? I mean the old style red that you would find on fire engines in England and Europe in the fifties. Now they are more of a fluorescant orange). =20 Jan Willem Bri=EBr, Consultant, The Netherlands. ________________________________________ >>

hello, Jan, you could put a 4 cyl Jetta or 5 cyl Quantum (Passat, to you guys) turbo diesel under the rear deck of your Extermely Lazy Auto.. :<) or you could go to a gas engine, and install a GTI 16 valve under there, or do what they do in South Africa, and run a 5cyl audi gas (maybe even a turbo 5 cyl)..... and yes, most fire engines here in the US are red, but I've seen some flourescent yellow ones too.. :<)

chris Allentown, Pa