Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 1997 10:30:54 -0700
From:         Erik Rhodes <ErikRhodes@platsoft.com>
Subject:      RE: 84, noise???

I'm not overly knowledgeable about fuel injection problems, but this definitely sounds like one. I've had a similar problem with the hesitation in my '79 bus and suggest this:

Check to make sure you have good clean and firm electrical ground connections. I know, too easy, but this got rid of the hesitation for me. But it still wasn't running right, felt like it WOULD hesitate or something.

The main problem for me turned out to be the air flow meter/sensor, which tells the computer how much air is being sucked into the cylinders, which the computer uses (along with the info from the temp sensors and all that) to determine how much fuel needs to be injected for proper mix, etc. A faulty air flow meter gives wrong data to the computer, maybe lagging behind for a second before it snaps to and goes "oh, you're accelerating! You're accelerating....oh, yeah, I'm supposed to tell the computer how much air is going in--hey computer!" and that time lag could be the hesitation.

Just a guess...