Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 1997 23:12:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Sudhir Desai <cdes@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>
Subject:      trip to the library(long)

this e-mail is about my exiting trip to the library, and a question of what is wrong with my van.

this morning, i started up my '84 vanagon to pick my sister up from the library. the van started up fine, but then settled into a rough idle. when i stopped at the bottom of our street, the van died. it started back up with some difficulty, but i was back on my way up the hill to the library, within 3 minutes. i was stopped to turn left into the library, when the van died again, this time into oncoming traffic. in a desperate attempt to get myself and my vehicle from becoming tomorrow's news, i put it into first and drove into the library parking lot on starter alone. as soon as i got into the parking lot, the van choked/sputtered to life. i got my sister from inside, and tried to start the van but it didn't want to go. in a last ditch attempt to start it by cranking the hell out of it while using the starter motor to go, i almost caused two accidents. i didn't want to have the engine off when i went down the street, so i went in the opposite direction hoping that i wouldn't die in the process. after about fifteen minutes of solid cranking(i probably burnt out every major electrical component in the van), the van came back from the dead with a great belch of unburnt gasoline and motor oil. i turned around and limped back home, and when i stopped to turn the car off when i was parked, the van turned itself off.

the first person that knows what is wrong with my vanagon, and lives within one hour of Catonsville, Maryland, will be one the first person outside my immediate family to get a ride in my chevy 2.8l v-6 powered vanagon(the project will be done by christmas -- i hope).

sudhir desai 17 overhill road catonsville, maryland 21228

1984 Red&White Volkswagen Vanagon