Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Aug 1997 16:29:11 -0500
From:         MPeters@asapsoftware.com
Subject:      Re: '90 Vanagon Needs Mechanic in Chicago

I am in the far north suburbs & use North Chicago Import Auto right across from Abbott Labs on Sheridan. Handles R12 but is not equipped for R134. Works on European cars only. (has an early 70's Westy for sale in the lot!)

1220 Sheridan Road North Chicago, IL 847-473-4448

Mike Peters '93 EV Westy '87 Volvo 765Turbo (for sale)

hanninkt@ix.netcom.com on 08/06/97 03:59:45 PM

Please respond to hanninkt@ix.netcom.com

To: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu cc: (bcc: Mike Peters/ASAP/US) Subject: Re: '90 Vanagon Needs Mechanic in Chicago

Marty Perry wrote: > > Also my A/C wasn't working and a freon recharge didn't work, so I took > it to an A/C shop. > Diagnosis bad expansion valve. Cost approximately $600 including 3lbs > of freon and new evaporator drier. About 5 hrs labor for the expansion > valve (one dealer said it was a 7 hr job). How close was this to being > in the ballpark? > > Marty Perry > Chicago

My AC in my Carat started getting progressively warmer. I had it diagnosed by a local mechanic who added 1 lb. of Freon which had no effect. He also suspected the expansion valve might be the problem but said that if the electric radiator fan is not working properly, it can cause the same type of problem.

I had also notice that the van had been running a little warmer than usual (the needle just above the LED instead of right on top of it).

I cleaned the contacts on the series resistor and it seems to be working better now.

He also said that it would take most of the day to change out the expansion valve so your time estimates are reasonable. -- Tim Hannink Winter Park, Florida hanninkt@ix.netcom.com __ __ 1991 VANAGON Carat \ \ / / Pastel White \ \/ / 1975 TRANSPORTER __ \__/ __ Pastel White/ Station Wagon \ \ / \ / / Hawaiian Blue \ \/ /\ \/ / 1973 412 Sedan \__/ \__/ School Bus Yellow