Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:43:02 -0500
From:         Paul Henderson <pgh@UNX.DEC.COM>
Subject:      Idle setting on '84 WasserBoxer (w DigiJet)

I am attempting to rectify the wrongs of my bus's DPO by doing a full tune-up. I have the Bentley manual, and am attempting to set the idle, which is around 1100 rpm. The manual directs me to remove the idle stabilizer plugs, plug them together (done), then simply "adjust the idle". Could some kind soul tell me where this is done, and how? Bentley assumes I know how...

Also, I notice that when I put a timing light onto the engine, I do not see any timing mark whatsoever. This worries me immensely. I am hoping that the high idle has something to do with that, but normally a high idle only puts the timing mark only a little ways away from the proper place.

Last silly question... the detailed manual does not tell me which cylinder is 1, which is 4, so I am deducing the following from the ignition sequence and the ignition wires:

front of bus | | | 4 2 | | | | | 3 1 ----------------- rear of bus

Thank you fellow Vanagon-ers.

Paul Henderson '84 Vanagon WasserBoxer