Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:24:00 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <Carl_Hansen@ATK.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 VANAGON starters (lo

SyncroBeast re> 85 VANAGON starters (longish) My SO's Scirocco has experienced a similar on and off for several years.

The first problem I diagnosed was that the primary battery connection to the solenoid was loose. The nut was tight on the outside, but the bolt/stud was loose on the solenoid. When I tightened it up, the problem went away.

The second time it started acting up, I had recently replaced the automatic tranny, and you guessed it, the stud was loose again.

During this most recent analysis, I was reminded about a common VW/Bosch electrical problem that takes several forms, that of low voltage to the starter. It goes like this:

1. Sometimes it's poor grounds. Check all ground straps, especially the big fat ones. I seem to recall that my SyncroBeast has one strap on the tranny nose going to the body. After a lot of years, I can remmeber lots of corrosion at that point on several of previous busses and bugs I have owned in the past.

So Check all ground straps. Make sure the connections are good and the bolts are tight.

2. The power to your solenoid passes from the battery, to the dash area, to the switch, to the dash area, to the back of the bus area, to the solenoid, then thru the solenoid to ground via the case of the starter. That's a lot of connectors and wires to pass thru.

Some people take one of the little 1 inch cube relays (Make sure you use one that can handle a bit of current, I'm not sure what the solenoid takes, but I'd be looking for one that can handle 40 amps, I think.) and let the switch feed the cube relay. Power to the cube can take a much shorter path from hot battery to solenoid. Put the cube some place safe where it doesn't get wet.

So the next time this happens, get out your voltmeter and make some measurements. Is the voltage to the solenoid +30 terminal low?? Do you have a voltage drop between the starter frame and chassis?? I jury rigged a couple of wires to appropriate points in the electricals, undernieth the car, so that when the offending problem occurred, I wouldn't have to crawl under the darn thing and try to get at the terminals on top the starter. The second terminal on the solenoid is hot when the solenoid is activated, it's a look at what voltage is being applied to the starter by the solenoid, so I attached a wire to that as well. (Scirocco w/Automatic starter is buried under engine, above drive shaft.)

I wish I could tell you what to expect, Jan's car hasn't acted up since I added the wires, so I haven't looked at voltages yet. I expect the starter terminal from the switch to drop to ??10 volts, no less??, I expect the 2nd terminal on the solenoid to show an intermittent 0 to +V, 0 to +V, because Jan's problem lately seems to be one of the solenoid click, click, clicks and doesn't start at all. If the problem was per you comment and Jan's previous problem, I'd expect a low voltage, less than 10 volts at both solenoid terminals, rising to 10 to 11 or so when the starter finally kicked in and started the car. If it did the later, I'd expect a corroded connection somewhere, that dropped a bit of voltage, and after a while, the current kicked it's way thru for a better voltage.

Confused enough?? Give it a try, Usually the hardest part of any job is starting it.

Ch '89 Syncro Beast '87 GTI 16V '86 Scirocco (SO's, with a few extra wires, I'm too cheep to just buy a starter, a solenoid, bigger ground straps, relays to transfer power, etc, etc, untill I know what the roblem really is, and you know how it goes with these damned intermittents - the SO gets po'd and just wants it too work, and you can't fix something that isn't broke. damn intermittents.)

****************Original message below: Subject: 85 VANAGON starters

I am getting warning signals from my starter/solenoid. Sometimes (not always)the starter engages but cannot turn over the engine for a second or two. So far it has started each time. Replaced the starter and solenoid at 70k miles I think for a similar problem but don't remember details. Now at 145k miles. The battery specific gravity still shows in the full charge range in warm weather on all cells and is less than one year old. Terminals all are clean.

Anyone out there experience a similar situation? Do Vanagon starters/solenoids have about a 75k mile life before needing brushes or new solenoid contacts?

Larry