Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Aug 1997 02:23:15 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@MSN.COM>
Subject:      VR6 Camper - 1st-trip report (long)

Through fortunate circumstances a few weeks ago we traded in our '93 EV MV on a new '97 EV VR6 camper. The '93 MV had been our first disappointing VW with many nagging reliability problems, and engine / auto transmission / engine mounts that shook the car so much (dealer: they all do that) that my wife hated to drive it. There was still a lot to like about it, but it was about to need major work at 92k; so we decided it was time to look at other cars. I'd seen 3 VR6 campers in the back of Maund Imports in Austin, so suggested we include that on our list to see how they'd changed. Next morning my wife shows up at my office driving one - the dealer said to keep it for the day to try out, and then she didn't want to look at anything else. She used it for driving kids, shopping, errands, and even with the extra camper load liked driving it around town. As I got to drive it I could see VW had really addressed all our complaints about the '93. When the dealer exactly matched my "thin-air" guesses at price and trade-in we decided to go ahead - after all, we had 3 days to break it in before our planned vacation trip. We also got the 2nd bench seat (the only option) so it can seat 6 for around town errands.

I'm astonished at how much the engine and transmission are improved. The new engine mounts and sound dampening make it as quiet as my '91 Vanagon Carat; and even quieter under hard acceleration although the engine at your feet. They used the extra horsepower to relax the gearing rather than performance, so this is really a quiet freeway cruiser. 70 mph is at only 2900 rpm, and doesn't feel strained or busy at all.

You do notice the extra length some in close parking lot maneuvering, but now the inside space better matches the Vanagons - while the '93 MV always seemed cramped by comparison. If VW ever decides to bring back the non-camper versions (and they should!), I 'd suggest the longer version. The short wheelbase model may look better on the spec sheet, but I'd rather have the space, and the length really isn't objectionable in use. The ride is also excellent. Yes I still think the Vanagon is the most practical car ever designed, but with new US regs it would have to be changed so much for today it would be... a Eurovan? We shouldn't blame VW for what the government requires.

I saved the trailer hitch and front floormat from the '93, and both fit the VR6 perfectly.

Winnebago has really done a good job with the camper conversion. I don't notice any of the reported "tackiness" some report. I've had experience with '67, '78, and '87 VW campers, and the Winn-VR6 continues the concept - "refined" for the way VW sees the '97 market. If I lived in the rockies I'd miss the nimble feeling and ground clearance of the earlier vans, but with days of freeway travel from Texas to get anywhere, I appreciate the merits of the new design.

I installed the hitch and trailer wiring, and we stocked the camper and filled tanks. My wife got the sewing machine busy and duplicated the Winne $550 "rear hatch tent" for <$50 in nylon pack cloth. This makes a useful shower enclosure with the EV rear hose. We did as much local break-in as time allowed, and loaded gear for the four of us (with 2 teen-agers) for a 2-week camping/canoe trip using our gear trailer (4' x 4' x 3').

The "level check" LED panel for tank/battery levels went completely dead before we started. And when I first tried to cool the fridge on AC I had no luck; but after "jump-starting" it on propane for 30 minutes and then switching to AC it worked fine all night before we left. The manual warns against trying to cool down on battery only, and it looks like the AC element also needs a little help getting started. (I've noticed the same behaviour a few times since - start on LP, then switch to AC.)

We headed for the Minnesota Boundary Waters up I-35, with the first day tedium of trying to continue break-in while travelling. Then as the miles built up we moved more to cruise mode. I had been worried about the single A/C up front, but the back stayed comfortable even in Texas / Oklahoma mid-day heat. (Although keeping the front passengers a bit cool with the cold air blow-by to get to the back.) The Winnebago top is a sandwich, insulated; and the white color makes sense for coolness.

I was delighted to find you no longer feel the A/C compressor jolt the car like the '93 MV did. You really can't detect it engaging. Perhaps the MV used a higher-capacity compressor with its dual A/C; or maybe they've sorted out the R134a systems - but that's one more annoyance cured. (With the automatic transmission the MV would really jump at stoplights when the A/C kicked on in our Texas heat.)

The fridge stayed COLD the whole trip - almost freezing milk. AC, propane, and battery all worked fine - but we were not at high altitude. Considering the messages about trouble with propane use maybe I'm just lucky. All appliances, etc. worked great all trip.

Sleeping was generally more comfortable for 4 than my '87 camper - but without the rear hatch screen and with smaller screened windows in the cabin the bottom bunk got a bit stuffy in the south. (but up top with 3 windows is great) Since we find campgrounds with AC when stopping briefly we added a small AC fan to sit on the sink-top and that helped a lot. I'll make a screen for the rear before the next trip though.

We all loved driving the van on both freeways and rural highways - even with the load and trailer. The cruise seems to be tuned better than the '93, and the auto transmission is much improved too. (The EVs have been my first cars with ATs since 1966. I'd still prefer the MT, but...)

With the long-legged gearing the AT & cruise do down-shift on many hills, but the downshift behavior seems to change depending on whether the AT logic is in "economy" or "sport" shifting mode. In sport mode it seems to downshift much more aggressively (and unnecessarily), while in economy mode it is hardly noticed in most cases, with a quiet change in rpm from 2900 to 3500 and back. I think the torque-converter lockup behavior also changes between the two modes - but VW doesn't document much about the system.

With the new gear ratios 3rd gear now becomes a very usable highway passing / climbing gear, and they recommend staying in 3rd in hilly areas to prevent frequent automatic shifting between 3&4.

After the first tank we got 18+ mpg on the trip north (with full load & trailer & A/C) at 70.

We left the van for 5 days canoeing in the Minnesota Boundary Waters - which I highly recommend. I still remember camping in upper Michigan around 1950; when you seldom saw anyone else camping on lakes and woods. The BWCA preserves that type of experience. We'd see other people on the canoe routes, but seldom saw anyone else (except moose, otters, eagles) once at a campsite. Very refreshing after months in an office.

On rural 55/65 roads across upper Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan mileage went up to 19 / 19.5 with the same load.

Finally on the last 1300 miles from Michigan to Austin we averaged 18.65 mpg cruising at 70.

On a similar trip our old '93 EV MV would get about 19 / 19.5 mpg - and without the convenience of the camper conversion. (I've read of EVs getting higher mileage; but the A/C load in our Texas heat REALLY dropped the mileage on ours.) Our '91 Vanagon would get 20 / 20.5 on the same trip with trailer.

The engine use about 1/4 qt oil in the first 1000 miles break-in; but hasn't used any that I notice in the next 3000.

Other than the LED level panel, the only "problem" is that the idle speed sometimes jumps from the normal 750 to 1000, and will stabilize there regardless of further driving until you shut off the ignition and restart. With the AT the car may creep ahead when the idle jumps, so I hope the dealer can find that problem. This only happens when sitting at idle for extended periods with A/C on strong - at long red-lights and traffic jams.

Most novel experience: easily passing cars going uphill at 70, towing our trailer.

Bottom line: we love the car. Highly recommended for anyone who needs to go long-distance to get to camping areas.

(OK, whichever VW bus/van/EV I'm driving at the time is my favorite - there are good things about all of them. With the VR6 the balance has shifted to comfort and cruising; but that fits our lifestyle now. But don't try to get my Vanagons away from me yet.)

Tom Brunson