Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Aug 1997 22:38:46 -0500
From:         Scott McFarland <mcscot@EXECPC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Radiator Removal

Ian, I had recently removed the radiator from my 85 GL. I had the joy of doing this twice (the first one leeked as bad as the original). The bars that serve as hinge pins for the spare tire and go up to the front of the van were a mystery to me as well. I removed the retaining ring on the end of the bar going through the hinge, you can then tap these out lightly with a hammer. The other end that goes up front forms a "C" that hooks in the hole that it is inserted in to, after some playing around with them they do unhook. The radiator is held in place by two brackets on the bottom of the radiator towards the ends. You will also have to unplug the fan electrical connection as well as the thermoswitch for the fan. The radiator and the fan pull out together as one piece, then you can remove the fan from the radiator. You do not need to jack up the front end for this. I did not reinstall the bars on my van, I replaced the hinge pin with a regular pin and cotter key lock.

Scott McFarland