Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:49:00 -0500
From:         Don Gibbons <dgibbons@PRESRAY.COM>
Subject:      Eurovan CV joints

A few weeks ago the right inner CV joint (CVj) on my EV (5spd) went. It was making lots of clanking/clicking noises and vibrations. This did not go all at once it just got more frequent and more extreem.

First, Right now new CVjs are NOT available. Only rebuilt ones from the dealer can be found. I didn't like it but...

The drive shafts on EV's are a little different then on other VW/Audi units. The inner is larger and has bolts that use a larger CVj "tool" I think its the same size as Audi 5000.

The outer is very different. The splined shaft used on other front drive VW's and Syncro's does not have a nut fastening it in the bearing housing. Instead there is a long bolt that threads into the joint. This threaded hole goes right into the greasy part of the joint. It is also used as a jack screw to push off the drive shaft from the CVj. All you need is a length of threaded rod (metric) and the shaft pops out.

getting it in or out:

1. With car on ground loosen big center bolt (was at 200 NM)

2. jack, chock $ block up car, remove wheel.

3. Put in suspension holding tool. VW calls it 3250. It just stops the suspension from bottoming. I made one. It goes between the arms and frame member. Makes things lots eaiser, more room to work with the control arms up a bit.

4. Mark the position of the upper ball joint eccentric bushing. Don't want to pay for an alingment do we.

5. Unbolt the tie rod end, stab bar link, shock, lower & upper ball joint.

6. Remove the big bolt and then remove the bearing housing (complete with brake assy). hang it up so the brake line is not stressed.

7. Remove the inner CVj bolts.

Shaft is out.

Here are some torques:

CVj to trans: 55 Nm Shock/stab: 170 Nm Big bolt: 200 Nm

Disclaimer: This is what I did. Still have all my fingers, If you don't like these steps think a little before proceeding. This information provided for entertainment purposes only. If you don't know ask someone who does.