Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:50:54 -0700
From:         Blake Heinlein <bhein@ECST.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Stereo / CD Issues

>>At 10:15 AM 8/21/97 -0600, Stephen Jones wrote: >>Next question . . . Has anyone come up with a great place to put a >>CD changer in a Westy? I was thinking in the cabinet, under the >>sink. Any other ideas?

>I heard a suggestion of putting it under the passenger seat, with the >opening facing forward. I liked that suggestion, but haven't investigated >further. >Coyote

In my 83.5 Westy I had my 10 CD changer mounted under the sink on the bottom of the shelf. The board supported it with no problem. I was out of sight but a real strain to try to reach it while driving. The only problem was that my sink had a little leak and it would drip on top of the shelf. This really concerned me so I fixed the leak I got tired of doing contortions while driving at 65 mph so I moved it up front. Now it's mounted, facing up, against the passenger side box which the seat sits on. I would have put it on my seat but the parking break lever is in the way. In my van I have a center console and the changer fits snuggly right beside it. The console also makes it harder to see form the outside. The main reason I had it facing up is that when it was sideways the seat wouldn't be able to rotate around. Take a look at my homepage and you'll see what I mean by the console. http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bhein/cockpit.jpg The changer is on the right of the console in this picture so you can't really see it. This position might not be that desireable because with the opening up it allows for dust to settle on the changer. If you leave the door open then the dust will fall right into the changer itself. It's up to you!

Sometimes a pictures worths 1001 words!

Blake Heinlein 83.5 Westy "Toaster"