Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 1997 00:55:59 -0500
From:         "Rick Sherrod (hopeless VW nut)" <kdf_cars@MYLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Buses FS (CT,MA,NY Areas)

Matthew Bulley wrote:

> > Needs: > > New tires all around (current tires by Telly Sevallis), > New fuel pump (sat for a year) : ( > New Power steering rack : ( >

> gmbulley > fairfax, va

Hey guys, before you spend the big bucks replacing a fuel pump gummed from storage, try some clever tricks first. If you can get the gummed pump to turn, you may dislodge the "gum" that is causing the jam.

*check first to see that you are indeed getting power and ground at the fuel pump terminals while trying to start the engine before calling the fuel pump a bad one. I'll assume that you have already done so.

*remove the air cleaner assembly and gingerly insert a long (clean) screwdriver blade into the air flow meter in the same direction as the air enters. Move the air door (flap) inside. this should give power to the fuel pump relay and in turn to the fuel pump. If you hear the relay click when you do this then leave the screwdriver in (on some later models, you may need to turn the ignition on), and go tap gently on the fuel pump itself under your van. If you can get it to turn (buzz), cool. You'll be in business. If that doesn't get you far, then go to the next asterisk.

*really stubborn fuel pumps need to be jumped with a normal Wal-Mart style battery charger. Disconnect the terminals from the van, connect the charger alligator clamps to the pump terminals, and give it power. buzzing? cool. No buzzing? reverse the clamps and run the pump backwards dislodging whatever gum inside from the bronze bushing/bearing surfaces and freeing the inner workings of your otherwise fine pump. Not all pumps that don't work are bad. Some are just misunderstood.

*if the pump continues to stall periodically even after the contents of the fuel tank are spent, you may want to backflush the pump off of the van using a battery charger again (in a parts washer tank perhaps) to remove larger collective strings/clumps of varnish/gum that won't pass through the pump into the filter. Only in severe cases should one have to do so.

I hope that I have given you enough guidance to pull a rabbit out of your own hat and save some money. Those pesky fuel pumps are pricey. And your going to need to save some of those "green fun tickets" for your steering rack. Rather than burning up your power steering pump if you can't keep fluid in the reservoir due to a leaking rack, consider removing the power steering drive belt until you can gather the money for a rack. It is leaking isn't it?

bye for now, former and again listmember- Rick Sherrod