Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 06 Aug 1997 16:08:24 +0000
From:         "samchez, alexander" <sanchea@sce.com>
Subject:      Vanagon temperature problem

I have an '88 vanagon. I bought it about 14 months ago at 92,000 miles and I now have 114,500 miles on my van. When I bought it I had a new radiator installed. Since then I've had the engine replaced three times. When my engine first went out I bought a remanufactured engine from the Volkswagen Canadian factory. The engine has since been replaced twice more on warranty. The problem seems to be temperature which at times runs over 50% and can fluctuate. I've taken my van to three different Volkswagen dealerships and they check it over and tell me nothing is wrong with either my cooling system or the engine. It runs hotter at higher rpms but cools down at lower rpms. I now have about 1,200 miles on this engine and the temperature gauge can run up to 80% when I ride down the freeway on a hot day in the flatlands with the air conditioning on full blast. My expectation is that the engine get hot only when I go up a big hill (with the van fully loaded) and not heat up just cruising twenty miles at 65mph down the freeway. Recently, It has been over 100 degrees here in LA and I just know that this engine is running too hot. I have a friend who had a similar temperature problem and he told me when his engine failed and was replaced his mechanic refused to install a Canadian engine and only a German engine was accepted by him and installed. My friend has not had any temperature problems since. When this last engine was replaced I asked both Volkswagen and the dealer to install a German engine. They both told me the German engines are unavailable. I have a case in with VW. However, all they seem to do is refer me to the dealer who tells me everything is ok. I had an '85 vanagon (watercooled) which I bought new and got 210,000 miles on it. It ran about 40% constant temperature (unless I went up a big hill on a hot day). Can you or any one help me figure this out? I am really getting tired of breaking down; and having my car gone for up to a week at a time; of borrowing a car to use when my car breaks down; of taking my car to the dealer and being told nothing is wrong; and especially of everyone I know telling me to get a different car. Thanks. Alex Sanchez sanchez2@ix.netcom.com