Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:49:31 -0600
From:         guymon@SKYPOINT.COM
Subject:      87 Syncro Sell or Keep?

Okay I've been reading this list for a few months now and have experienced all the known problems talked about on the Vanagon. Some have been fixed some have not and some I've been told by my VW dealer never to bring it back to them (Seems they could not fix it 2gs later).

Now the head gaskets has blown again (154k) and I'm not sure if I want to spend the $1200 (Plus heads if pitted) to get it fixed (not to mention the heat blower and AC and a new clutch).

Dilemma: *Sell the miserable beast (But I love it!) any takers? *Put it the path a Toronto (To hard to coordinate and possible jail time with insurance fraud) *Reengine with Audi 5 cylinder ( I really like this one)

I really like the Reengine thing but I don't have the time to do it myself. I got the know how (Thanks Zeidler Helmut) and some money. I'm looking for someone in Minnesota (preferably the Twin Cities) that also wants to do a reengine job. I have a garage to do it in and most of the tools. I think a joint effort would go a lot faster.

Anyone interested?! Other wise, anyone want a good 87 syncro GL with all the bells and a little seam rust with a few problems (Normal for a Vanagon!)

Guy

87 Syncro 89 MBZ 300TE 84 BMW 528e