Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Aug 1997 23:11:51 -0400
From:         David Katsuki <katsuki@BBN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stereo / CD Issues

On our '90 Westy I've got 6" Boston Acoustics in the front (approximately the same position of the original ones), and 5" Boston Acoustics in the rear, and sounds pretty good, with quite good base and very crisp sound. You don't need to cut any metal to put the front ones in, but you do need to study the existing hole carefully. The speaker is partly under the edge of the dash when the door is closed, but I picked speakers that don't protrude much. You do have to bend the handles up about 3/8", which you can do easily in a vise (need to bend the clearance in and then correct the bend to have the knob at the right angle). I've put 6" speakers in both our vans and never had a handle break. Great sound.

In the rear on the Westy (with A/C) I found that there are large openings on the side that allow sound to escape (especially on the passenger side), and hence degrade the bass response. I sealed these with lead flashing applied fron the inside with double sided foam tape (and stuffed stiff foam into the holes where the A/C plumbing comes out on the driver's side). Made a MAJOR improvement in the bass .

Dave

At 11:05 AM 8/22/97 -0800, Todd Francis wrote: >Karl Vochatzer wrote: >> > >> Whatever you replace your stock 4" speakers with be certain to check for >> window crank clearance and that the speaker cover doesn't smash into the >> side of the dash. I've seen vans with larger speakers that didn't account >> for these differences. >> >> Karl Vochatzer >> 86 Westfalia GL >> 88 GL >> >Hi It is possible to bend the crank handles out a little. I had to do >that after installing some 4" Clarion speakers (the thinist I could >find) The Clarions made a world of difference from the stockers. Could >use a little more bass in the rear though. >-- >Todd Francis >'86 Westy Syncro >'91 Tristar > >