Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:51:25 -0400
From:         Erik O <koesel@UAKRON.EDU>
Subject:      Trip Report: Akron, OH to Outer Banks NC

Thanks to all who replied to my first posting with words of incouragement and offers of assistance. So far the "new" GTI Westy has perfomed very well. We're averaging 22mpg during the 900 or so miles we've coverd. We tend to cruise at about 65mph and are only pulling 3000rpms. I'm very happy with all of that :-)

Our journey started when we left Akron, Oh for Cincinnati. Not 20 miles from home we saw flashers in the rear view mirror, it seems we drifted a little left of the edgeline. Everyone else was doing the same thing because there was a row of huge potholes in the lane where the driverside tires were suppost to be. We got off with a warning, I think the young officer was trying to get a good felony stop under his belt. Around midnight we met up with listmembers Tony Moore, Charley Ford and Ted Finesman, along with quite a few others who were camping out across the street from the sight of the Cincinnati Bugfest. Although we were late we were welcomed and treated to a feast of grilled turkey and cold beers. Soon everyone turned in and got some sleep for the VW show on Saturday.

The bugfest had a pretty good turnout of busses. Ted Finesman and Bob O'Shaughnessy shared first place for post 68' bus catagory. I didn't win anything of course, but I had quite a few people interested in the GTI conversion, which was more than I had expected. Listmember Geosh Fathauer showed up and hung out for awhile, nice guy. All and all it was a good day, very hot though.

After the show we took off for NC and made it to a little town in West Virginia called Mossy. The campground was really nice and worked on the honor system. When you pulled up at night you just found a spot and camped, then in the morning you drove down the street and payed your fee at the gas station. It was a real nice place and we were more than happy to fork out $12, the showers were refreshing!

The next day (Sunday), we made our way through WV and the Allegheny Mts. We were on the interstate, so while the drive was nice, it was pretty tame. The adventure came when we deceided to take the Blueridge Parkway for awhile. The views were great, we got some nice pictures and the GTI managed the Westy very well. The brakes did act up a little when we were leaving and going down a long steep grade following about 30 cars and a big truch out in front. The breakes actually got a little mushy for awhile, but cleared up shortly after. We decided to pull ino camp early, so we stopped at a KOA near Petersburg Va. Nice campgroung, very clean, filled up on propane, got some sleep and posted this message. Now all I have to do is hook up and upload. I'll respond to everyone who wrote me after I download all my new messages today. Now, off to the Banks....

Erik O, Terri and Barley.

82' GTI Westy 87 Syncro 7 Passenger (PARTING OUT) (ex) 87' Syncro Westy Camper http://www.geocities.com/Baja/1965/ http://gozips.uakron.edu/~koesel/SMT/